GMAT/MBA questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:42 AM
CP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMAT/MBA questions...

I'm starting to entertain thoughts of applying to business schools in the next few years. My company pays ****, and they're not going to be much help with tuition reimbursement either. I think a degree will give me grounds to step up to a higher pay scale while also giving me face to face contact with people willing to take a chance with a new graduate. Basically more doors will be open to me once I've got a degree, but I'll also be in the hole for $100,000.

While it's not a possibility this year, I'd like to explore opportunities in the next 3 years. But I'm on the fence about whether to shoot for the degree. My undergrad degree is in Small Business Management, so I've already covered all the basic fundamentals.

It has been suggested that I take the GMAT soon to get that out of the way; one less thing to worry about come application time. Are these tests offered a number of times during the year, or are they concentrated around a certain time of year? Take a prep class or no; I've heard arguements for both sides? I'd obviously get the proper literature and electronic practice tests to do on my own if I decide to keep the $1K+ and skip the class. I've also got the materials from a few of the more well-known prep classes offered nationwide; friends have been applying to grad school lately, inclluding my little sister.

I'm getting married this fall, and kids are in our 3-5 year plan...she's getting anxious. I make pennies at my current job, and I think I'd like the opportunities that will come with a degree. At the same time, I'm probably going to end up running some type of small business with my fiance, as I'm not really a big fan of corporate culture.

I know Ray Kahn is thinking about an MBA soon too, so any information or personal experiences/advice that you can tell us would be helpful.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Some input for both of you:

(surprised this has yet to be moved to OT)

- unless it is unrealistic in your situation, I strongly suggest finding employment with a company that provides tuition assistance first.
- the GMAT is offered on a regular basis; you may end up taking it at Sylvan in Waltham.
- I think the prep classes are a waste of money; some only help you 'take the test', as opposed to actually (re-)learn the material.

I used a self-paced program called 'Powerprep' -inexpensive, and simulates the test itself. I found it to be tremendously helpful:

http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/Tools/PowerprepSoftware.htm

- ideally, get the degree before you have kids. Once in a program, you will be [very] busy outside of the time spent in class. I came out with a newfound appreciation for my free time!

HTH.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Take GMAT practice tests and see how your scores are, before taking a course.

Any chance of a horizontal job change to a company with better tuition reimbursement that can be used toward a part-time MBA program?

Check to see if any of your SBM program courses will get you credit for any of the 1st year grad courses.

Research to find programs that have good value (reputation / tuition $), although you may be limited to where you currently work/live.

It's a lot of work (and $) but turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Whoops, sorry about advice duplication. Great minds think alike, and have similar screen names too!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah...I've done one practice test in the 2 months I've had the books..need to get cookin
Old 01-05-2006, 11:04 AM
CP

Default I was looking for opinions from locals about Boston-area programs, since I live in the area.

This would just get lost on the regular OT forum...and get stupid responses from all the kids.

My company offers $3K per semester for tuition reimbursement I think. So, basically nothing. And I don't want to get roped into working here after I'm done with school.

I may decide to stay within the healthcare industry (working for a Clinical Research Organization right now), but I don't have any long-term career aspirations at this point. They've been grooming me for a Project Management position, but I don't see that coming soon b/c this place is so cheap. I've got the informal title and PM duties already, but my salary and business cards don't reflect that.

I currently work in Lexington, so I was going to check out Babson and Bentley offerings. I was just talking to our accounting guy and he knows some people at those schools. My boss used to be a professor at Harvard, so I may try to pick his brain a bit too.

Any info helps...
Old 01-06-2006, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default take the practice tests...see what you need work on.

Personally, I didn't take a course to help me prepare. I bought a book and just started doing exercises. If you are ready for the exam, you are better off taking the exam sooner. The score is good for 5 years.

Considering your marriage and kids schedule, I'd want to get the MBA done as quickly as possible. I have classmates who have had kids while in school and they are completely exhausted. Plus they don't feel that they are getting the most out of the program, because they can't give it a 100% effort without the wife and kid suffering.

I'm doing the PT program at BU. My company pays $10K/year and I foot the rest of the bill. I'm scheduled to be done in May 07 and married late in 07. GF has had to suffer through some miserable times with me.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

where did you go to school?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what do you plan on concentrating in?

the usual PT suspects:

Bentley
Babson
NU
BC
BU
Suffolk

if you plan on doing a small biz later on, Babson > Bentley.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default c'mon slacker...I'm gonna be smarter than you

I'm already half way done with the program.

Quick Reply: GMAT/MBA questions...