HELP! [please]

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone verify that a first offense for a speeding ticket over 18 yrs old = no insurance points?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default several points...

1) she did not admit to going 70; "I dunno, maybe 70?" is not the same as "I was going 70". It could also be interpreted as meaning "I don't know, but absolutely no more than 70".

2) If it turns out it's really a 65 zone, they may just toss it since she has a clean record

3) The name issue won't matter. Don't even bring it up; sounds desparate

4) A perfectly reasonable strategy is for her to say "It's my first ticket, I will be more careful; I realize that this one ticket will cost me upwards of $1000 in insurance surcharges, so I'm asking for some leniency"

5) She shouldn't be yakking on the phone while driving, and while at least she noticed the revenue agent, she might have spotted it sooner if she hadn't been on the phone. Gotta keep the eyes up!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thank you for all the good points noah.

at least some people take my post seriously.
with her however, she would not notice a cop if it was next to her, phone or not. unfortunately. haha. even when i am driving and [as i always point out every cop i see], she will always be like 'where?' as we blatently pass it. regardless, this doesnt help her case. But as greg is pointing out, he says you get a freebie for your first speeding ticket. I told her to call her insurance to double check. If this is true, she says she will just pay the 150$. She went back and checked today and it was indeed a 55mph zone. the only section [ < 10 miles ] of all of 495 in MA that is under 65. The cop was 1/4 mile past the ONE sign that marks the 55mph zone starting. I told her that since there is only one sign and she is used to a 65mph zone on 495 (as i am too, to be honest), she did not notice the one measley 55mph sign. Anyhow, this is all only if she decides to appeal if there are indeed insurance surcharges aka points for her first ticket.

again, thanks for your input!

oh, and btw, my R56 has been built and is waiting to board ship to the US!!! =D i cannot wait.

hopefully after that maybe next summer if i get a nice engineering internship, i'll have some extra cash to bring her to NHMS and participate!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no problem...

re: the speed limit... check out the NMA page for illegal speed limits.

Did the cop indicate range on the ticket? If over 1/4 mile then she wasn't in the lower limit yet.

Hope you both make it to a track event -- sorry you didn't make it in May!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

2nd on the distance...it can be used to help the case if she goes and appeals it.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default even though she may get the 0 point freebie, she will lose the discount if any.

so she would get a relative surcharge for at least 5 years. the ticket will remain on her record for 6 years regardless.

search for SDIP (safe driver insurance plan): <a href="http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=5&L0=Home&L1=Consumer+Prote ction+%26+Business+Licensing&L2=Motor+Vehicle+Insu rance+Merit+Rating+Board&L3=Safe+Driver+Insurance+ Plan&L4=Current+SDIP+Policy+Information&sid=Eeops& b=terminalcontent&f=mrb_05_05_2006sdip_text&csid=E eops">here's a start</a>
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Assuming she has 5 years under the belt, she should be at a rating of 98 right now.

99 is 6 or more years experience with no surcharges.

98 is 5 years of experience and may or may not have a surcharge (depends on the surcharge IIRC).

She may be dropped down to a SDIP of 00 now with the first citation (if she pays or is found guilty) but there will be no surcharge on her premium. Next surcharge for a citation (if guilty) will bring her to a 02 SDIP.

For example, my first citation was a freebie so I was dropped down to a 00 rating but no surcharge or change on my premium.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default umm.. are you saying there is no cost difference between 00 and 98?

what would be the incentive for the 'discount' plans?

maybe the first fallback from discount to 00 does not change the policy cost?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess that is how it works out to be. Unless I read my papers wrong but I know there was no

increase in my premium until my surcharge event last year.

I did a little more reading and it looks like it works as so:

99 is perfect record, no incidents, at least 6 years experience.

98 is perfect record, no incidents, 5 years experience

98 w/ exactly 1 incident, at least 5 years experience.

So if you were at 99 and you get one incident that is surcharged, you will be dropped to 98 w/ 1 incident if you meet this requirement:

<b>
An operator who has been licensed for the most recent 5 years and has been incident-free for the most recent 3 years may receive the Excellent Driver Discount Credit Code (98) if there is exactly 1 surchargeable incident in the most recent 6 years and that incident is a minor traffic violation with a disposition of non-criminal.</b>

IIRC, she has been actively licensed for 3 years so she wouldn't even be at a 98. It would just remain at 00 for her.

I also just learned that insurance companies in MA are no longer required to use the point system (as of 4/1/08) to determine your premium. They can use it if they choose but it's not like the old days where it was mandatory to use the point system.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Default write the police chief for the notes of the traffic stop....

stating that you are using them to prepare a defense of the ticket in court (also cc the court where the ticket trial will be heard). If they do not get them to you in a reasonable time (usually two weeks before the trial date) you can move for a dismissal. I usually certify this letter.

Secondly, you will know what he wrote in his notes and can better argue your case.

Lastly, I know it sucks but someone has to say it: if you/she was speeding and the cop did you a favor by dropping the speed own up to your actions and pay the ticket.