I <3 Brian's Garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tony does great work

but every time I try to ask him what was wrong I get something along the lines of "Its all ****ed up- shot to ****"
Old 10-28-2008, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fvck that, is all i have to say.

if he wants to give you factual reasons why something you want to do is not a good idea, thats one thing. but for a mechanic to simple blurt out "oh your from the internet arent you?" and imply that you have no idea what your talking about, thats just being pig-headed and arrogant and i refuse to hand someone money who's going to belittle every comment i make. period.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so what? as long as he wrenches well and is competent ... the service comes 2nd

to competence.

also, people rarely bother me. he is a character for sure, but he knows how to wrench
Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd rather go to a place that has both. Plenty of shops like that around.

I tried Brians once in 2000. Similar story to others on the forum. I don't need that BS. If its a legitimate gripe or suggestion, then I appreciate the comments. Otherwise, I don't need it.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so basically your saying your OK with going to a place

that wrenches well and treats you like **** as a costumer? good for you. sounds like a real quality shop.

i can only speak for my self but you arent getting a dime of my money if you just bark arrogant comments at me.

any garage can "take this out, put this in"... why arent you looking for a place that wrenches well and has intelligent/meaningful things to say about your car and what you want done to it?

like there arent any shops that do good work and have good service... yeah. ok. have fun with "Brian"
Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Default what im saying is, i will deal with his "style" of service b/c he is that good of a mechanic

and also because his shop is less than 5 minutes away.

i mostly do my own wrenching, until i run into something i cant handle ... in this case it's the pinch bolt.

i drove to londonderry once and gloucester once, and they are good shops too, but geographic location plays a big role.

brian has been working with vw/audis for 20 years!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is his race car lowered? Or does it have a 3 inch lift? Does he use cast iron exhaust pipes?

I dont understand his reasoning as Im sure his motorsport oriented vehicles arent all to factory spec - otherwise he would be losing a lot of races!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default If he were the only show in town, I'd agree

But there are plenty of other shops to go to who are at least as competent and don't spout off idiotic rants at customers.

I'd also question his ability to wrench and make decisions based on his blind allegiance to "factory spec." That same factory spec called for a timing belt interval of 90k on the 1.8T. Does Brian The Brainiac want to pay for replacing the head on my engine because he blindly followed the "Factory Spec?" A more free-thinking mechanic would recognize the problem with the factory spec and then advise the customer as to his suggested alternative interval.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Brian may have been turning bolts on VWs for 20 years. That's good for him.

Bear Stearns had been selling mortgages for 85 years. How well did that work out? Just goes to show that experience &lt;&gt; competence :-)
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default he's not perfect

he missed a badly bent left tierod and steering knuckle on my old GTI, after charging me for 1/2hr labor to "inspect" the car's suspension (and spending 1/2hr telling me about my crappy aftermarket coilovers). apparently he never even looked under the car. it aligned OK but did strange things when the suspension was compressed in right-hand turns on the track - the caster was going way out of spec. the damage was from an accident before i owned the car.

Shine caught it immediately when i went for a 2nd opinion, after having the same symptoms with proper springs and shocks. I always liked Brian and Stu, but they lost my business permanently. If you're going to be cocky, you'd better be right.

Quick Reply: I <3 Brian's Garage