I almost died Saturday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I almost died Saturday...

I spent the entire day on my tractor clearing the woods at my house... digging up stumps and clearing debris. As I was backing up, I feel a burning sensation on my ear. fvck! a yellow jacket stings me on my ear. I look forward, and what do I see... about 1000 yellow jackets, I dug up a huge nest. I jump off my tractor and run as fast as I can.

Here is where the fun starts. I think to myself, wow I was lucky only one sting. As I'm thinking this and walking back to my house, my heart starts pounding. I'm thinking, it must be adrenaline... I'm sure I'll be fine.

I call my wife (who just left our house to go shopping). Honey, can you come home.... I got stung by a bee and I'm not feeling so good. She makes it back withing 10 minutes. By that time, I already drink a 1/2 bottle of Benedryle. She looks at me and says you don't look very good. By now, my face and neck are swollen, and I'm light headed. Within the next few minutes I start getting chest pain. We quickly load the kids into her car and we rush to the hospital. The chest pain gets worse... I start getting blury vision. We speed to the emergency room... I jump out of the car (while it's still moving) and run in. She called ahead and they were ready for me.

When I arive a doctor meets me. He asks "how are you feeling?" Um... "I'm light headed, my throught is swelling and I have severe chest pain". He says, "It's probably anxiety, I'm sure you will be OK". He walks me into the ER, and sits me down. The Nurse come in and start to take my blood preasure... I say "I'm gonna puke and pass out". Next thing I know, I'm geting a shot ands they have an IV in me. I got 2 shots of steroids, as well as an IV of something else. I'm blacking in and out of for the next hour. I finally wake up and I have a bed pan on my stomach and a blanket over me.

The nurse walks my wife and kids in. She says "He's been napping for an hour, he'll be fine. Ya... Thanks!

Needless to say, I got a prescription for an EPI-pen (actually 4 of them). My body is sore, I'm buring up... but all is well. I truly thought I was gonna die. **** like this puts life back into perspective.

OK, fast forward to Sunday. I go to Lowes, get 3 cans of outdoor bug foggers. I sneak up to the nest, click the tops... throw them like grenades, and run. I look at the hive through a scope on my rifle and watch the mother fvckers come out and die!

I win! I guess.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn man! Glad you turned out ok!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Geebus! Happened to me once too, though not the reaction...

I did almost roll my tractor this weekend whilst spreading hard pack.. =/
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Damn. Glad you are OK. I hate bees, wasps and hornets more than any other creature.

Last time I was stung I got nailed on my hand by a black hornet as I was dumping mulch under a tree and didn't see the nest the size of a nurf football that was right at my eye height. Luckily only one got me before I was able to run faster than Ben Johnson on steroids into the house. That evening armed with the raid can and a water hose with a high pressue nozzle I got my revenge. Hehehehehehe.

Worse bee sting ever:
Was in Londonfor a H.S. trip and while I was drinking a can of soda a yellow jacket had landed on the can and gone inside without me see it. Well you can guess what happened next. Took a drink, then 2 seconds later I felt something in my mouth followed by a stinging pain on my tongue. Spit out the yellow jacket and ended up eating dread and drinking water for two days while my tongue healed. Thankfully I didn't swallow the fvcker.

I could go on with more sting stories but I'll spare you.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EPI Pen reminder...They do NOT last forever...there should be an expiration date on them..
Old 09-25-2006, 08:26 AM

Default What a story. Glad your OK and had the last laugh on those little bastards.

Thank God it wasn't one of your kids that happened onto the hive. We had a kid up to your camp in Maine get 7 sting once. Luckily his mother (a nurse) had a pen. I should get a couple and leave up there.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad to hear you're ok Jon. Glad you killed those little bastads! (=
Old 09-25-2006, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

damn, it's amazing you're only finding out now that you're allergic, you've been lucky!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snakes and reptiles in general are my least favorite...
Old 09-25-2006, 09:09 AM
IBG
AudiWorld Super User

Default Glad you're OK...

I ran into a nest two months ago while weed whacking. Out of nowhere 2 got me on my left ear. I wiped at my ear and got one of them in my hand. The next thing I saw was a huge cloud of them coming out of the ground. I got the hell out of there. I'm not allergic to bees so I was fine, but my ear was swolen and throbbing like crazy. It felt like someone punched me in the ear for a solid 2 days straight.

Godamn yellow jackets!!!! :-)

Quick Reply: I almost died Saturday...