Insurance question. One of my cars got hit last night, by a pumpkin...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance question. One of my cars got hit last night, by a pumpkin...

while parked in the driveway. It looks someone drove by, at a high rate of speed and threw a small pumpkin that hit the rear quarter panel. The dent is about the size of a football and the paint is cracked. (luckily the A4 was not parked in that spot)

Would this be covered by the car insurance or homeowners? I am guessing about $800 to $1,000 of damage to fix and repaint the quarter panel.

With a $500 deductible, is it worth it? I assume rates would go up later after the renewal?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 10-22-2006, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't think your car rate will go up. I had someone hit and run my Audi while

parked in NYC. there was 3k in damage. I paid my deductible and no rate change. Usually rate hikes are for at fault accident.

Homeowners insurance you have to be much more careful with. If you make too many claims they will not renew your insurance and you will need to go with a "scum" type insurance company with higher premiums. I know someone that had their Rolex stolen from the house, then a year later they had their water heater in the house let go on the second floor and damage 2 rooms. Their insurance company would not renew their coverage based on "too many claims" which is a joke! - isn't that what insurance is for?

Just some food for thought. Id call the auto insurer and talk to your agent about it.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the advice.

I'll go the path of the car insurer.

I'm still out $500 (deductable) or living with a big dent in the car...

What a crappy weekend.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:29 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get a quote and let's see what it costs....may or may not be worth filing a claim

we can talk with the experts Monday and see what they suggest. I think it will be vandalism and won't be an issue. Of course...if you had a clean and usable garage...hmmmmmm
Old 10-22-2006, 06:30 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Crappy weekend? You could have been "on call".....
Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Rates won't go up, it is covered as vandalism under the comprehensive portion. If it costs more than

$500, then you should file it, then at least insurance will pick up the rest of the tab. But you can have an adjustor take a look at it or go to a body shop and have them give you an estimate on repair costs then decide.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default New pic in the sig?

Looks like you missed a few leaves...
Old 10-23-2006, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default An alternative approach - what if you ran it through your homeowner's insurance? Particluarly if

the auto insurance co. gives you a hard time.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For reasons i said above, my friends insurance went up $300 a year for 3 years on homeowners
Old 10-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the input... We can always count on the NE group for good advice :)

Auto insurance adjuster will be stopping by in a few days to work up a quote...

Agent said the it should fall under comprehensive, which only has a $100 deductible and listed as vandalism so no stikes against me.

Quick Reply: Insurance question. One of my cars got hit last night, by a pumpkin...