Just got pulled over again in MA for equipment violations

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It is illegal to remove functioning OEM cats under federal law. It's not illegal to run

straightpipes. There is a difference. Some states do not even have emissions laws. So if you have an older car that didn't have cats, the federal law does not apply. But I will admit my car is illegal under federal law. Fine, get me for that... not modified exhausts and front plate BS.

But just because my car violates one law, doesn't mean I should accept guilt for something else. I would accept guilt for what I violated. Does it make sense to accept a speeding ticket if you rolled through a stop sign? No, that doesn't make any sense. If they want to get me for the law I actually violated, then do it and do it properly, within the due process rights.

Catalytic converters are exactly that, catalysts. They speed up the break down process of the exhaust, that's all. They don't "clean" the air that's coming out of your tailpipe. If you burn more gas you are dumping more crap out of your tail pipe, period.

And if you want to know why it's unconstitutional to ticket out of staters for MA equipment violations, read up on the interstate commerce clause and it's surrounding case law to see what I'm talking about.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:10 PM
IBG
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll give you $5 for your car...

that should be a nice down payment on an accord. ;-P
Old 10-31-2007, 02:11 PM

Default So are you saying your car complies with CT law, running without a cat?

...and I don't mean 'passed inspection' -- all kinds of stuff can get by inspection stations.

by your logic, any time you leave your home state, you have a free pass to violate whatever equipment laws you want just because the other state shouldn't have jurisdiction. That just doesn't make sense.

Catalytic converters convert pollutants -- emissions that harm the environment -- into less harmful substances. So yes, you are still polluting more.

In the end, I just don't really get it. It gets you hassled, it pollutes way more, and produces really marginal performance gains.<ul><li><a href="http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap246a.htm">http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap246a.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Banned

It's a "noise" issue with his ticket...not a "pollution" issue.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sort of, think about tint laws, they vary state to state.

Should someone peel off their tint when they drive into a state with differing laws?

I have an aftermarket exhaust system which is totally legal in my state of registration, there is no reason I should get ticketed for it here if my car isn't registered in MA.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As far as the sound level and modifying my exhaust, yes my car is legal in CT

Cats wise, no. But even if I put cats on, it would not change the sound level. This officer told me that any modified exhaust (cat-back or whatever) was illegal. That is not true. And even going by the statute it says you can't modify it in anyway to aplify the sound of your engine. My exhaust is still has mufflers, I'm not amplifying anything.

And yes, you can violate other states equipment laws within reason. If the car poses a safety issue, like no bumper, crap falling off, no doors etc. I can see them enforcing that. But it is still tough since that car would be properly registered in its home state. They could probably get you for an improperly registered car or littering or something else.

Think of it this way. Your car is registered in FL. They don't even issue front plates and you can have whatever tint % you want. If you drive through MA on your way to VT for vacation, should MA be able to ticket you for their equipment laws? If you think they should, that would mean you would have to drive around any state that requires front plates. Same with a modified exhaust. I now can't drive through MA according to you and this officer. Kind of a patent violation of the interstate commerce clause. Atricles of Confederation didn't have anything about this... and we see how well those worked out. This clause was put into the consitution for the exact reasons the Articles didn't work.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

where were you when stopped? state or local officer?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Statie on 91 both times. Different ends of the state though.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I get concerned about my stock exhaust whenever I visit Massachusetts but have to admit

some exhausts are a bit much since many only add noise and not real hp gain.

They don't want quiet they just want the ticket revenue.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe you CAN remove an oem cat and replace with any non oem cat if you have over 50kmiles.:P

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over again in MA for equipment violations