Just got pulled over again in MA for equipment violations

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I agree... some exhausts are over the top. That's why I sold the UUC VM3 that was on my car when I

bought it. The Borla isn't OEM quiet but it's definitely not crazy loud unless I'm at WOT. I'd say it's about on par with a Porsche turbo or RS6 exhaust. Maybe a tad louder, but not by much.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe I could add some air filters to my test pipes and say they are non-oem cats ;-)

But yea, there are sorts of loop holes and "but if's"
Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try a bit of social responsibility and put a cat on your car
Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What does emissions controls on my car have to do police abusing their power?

Should I have been beaten with a billy club? What if I were charged with assualt when I didn't do anything? Because I don't run a cat does that mean I should just accept the charge?

*rolls eyes*
Old 10-31-2007, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default social responsibility = emission control

and not having a cat is an illegally modified exhaust. don't blame the cop when you were in the wrong first.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Noise was the issue. Not emissions. Any exhaust louder than stock is illegal

If he said anything about emissions I would not have a problem with it.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not talking about the cop/ticket. I was clarifying JAFO's statement
Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here's the scoop with this......

This law does unfortunately exist. It is fairly recent. It had been defeated the previous 3 times in the past, but it went through finally. The real problem here is that a 92dB stock Viper is legal, but an 88db modded Audi is not. Go figure. Too hard to equip all cops with sound level meters, so a blanket dB limit, which is the appropriate thing to do, is out of the question. The fact that you are from CT is irrelavant. Simply OPERATING such a car in Massachusetts is illegal.

A cop can write a ticket for anything. If you claim "not guilty", you can go to court and contest it. In this case, you will get off. There is no proof that your exhaust is too louder than stock.

However, in order to do this, you have actually go through the hassle of going to court, missing work, travel time, gas for travel, etc. The cops are counting on you to not want to deal with this hassle and hoping that you will just pay the fine.

It is an absolute abuse of power, but they'll get away with it as much as they can. If your particular exhaust was advertised as 50-state legal, you should maybe carry a certificate to that extent.

Your straight pipes are another issue, but you know that is illegal so that's not up for debate here. My personal opinion is that an extra 7hp on your 440 hp car is giving you ZERO performance gain.

Over the course of the past 10 years or so, the amount of modded vehicles in the U.S. has risen sharply. It is just a trend. the impact of the movie Fast and Furious was HUGE. there is much more noise out there, and this is a way the state has chosen to combat it, because they don't want to spend the money to do the right thing.

That right thing would be to:
1. set a legal dB limit for exhaust at, say, 2 meters distance
2. Equip police with sound pressure meters
3. make it applicable to all cars...stock, modded, antique, etc.

But this will never happen because it makes too much sense.

As I enter into my 40's I've come to realize a few things:

1. There is no such thing in life as "fair"
2. The legal system has little to with right, wrong, or common sense.
3. There some things worth fighting for, others just aren't worth the hassle. Know when to back down. In this case, I'm willing to bet that it is your lack of a front plate that is leading to all the other problems. It is an easy marker for you to get pulled over for. Do what I do. Paint your plate mount to match the car, and get a nice plate frame and get it also painted to match the car. It will minimize the ugliness of the whole front plate assembly.
4. The more I see this kind of stuff, the more I'm glad I have my RS4.....no mods required!!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Why not just make your car legal?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ilub mah VM3. And I'm in MA too.

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over again in MA for equipment violations