Just got pulled over again in MA for equipment violations

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I just put her in neutral and slide by.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's only going to get worse in MA once they approve the "aggressive driving" laws

They will then be able to generate their own tickets. Unmarked car going 55 in the left lane of a 65 mph zone, you get annoyed, pass on the right...oops there's the blues. "Gee, that was a pretty aggressive pass there son. That'll be a hefty fine for you."

The sad part is that there are already laws on the books that would prevent this type of sistuation. They just choose not to enforce them as the fines are not as high as the speeding/aggressive driving fines. If they simply pulled the "left lane loafers", etc over, there would be a whole lot less road rage incidents. Left lane loafing is a ticketable offense in MA. It is called failure to drive in the lane nearest the right.

I would seriously love to start an organization to lobby against this type of abusive behaviour by the police, however, my fear is that it would simply make me a larger target in their eyes.

Good luck with your fight on these tickets. I would love to know the outcome. Also, if you have any suggestions for me in fighting a speeding ticket that I recently received on the Mass Pike, I would love to hear them. I got the ticket for 75 in a 65. I appealed once already in front of the magistrate (Dudley court), and the officer that read the police statement said that I was pulled over for 86 in a 65, but the issuing officer gave me a break at 75. However, that is NOT what the issuing officer told me on the side of the road. He told me 75! When I mentioned this in the hearing, the clerk simply stated that he would rather believe the officer's story than mine (big shock). Gotta love the "justice" system in MA.

</rant>

Best of luck to you. Please give us the updates as they happen.

Aaron
Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Guys I x-posted this in the VW forums where people actually know what's up... it's bs.

Obviously if your car is a "Borla with test pipes" (haha) you're going to get nailed no matter what. Borla stuff is retardedly loud especially with test pipes, are you kidding me?

Cat-backs are fine as long as it's not a fart-can that'll **** the cops off.<ul><li><a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3522377">http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3522377</a></li></ul>
Old 11-02-2007, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oh this Kangaroo court pisses me off

I can't wait to go to mine ;-) Intimidation and legal arguments. They'll be pissed and probably tell me shut it. In which case I will then refuse to participate.

You get a de novo review before a real court, so whatever happens in the kangaroo court doesn't matter. It's a smart move by MA to impliment these kinds of courts, because it takes a huge burden off the regular courts. Most people want to say their peice, the kangaroo court will usually then knock down the cost of the ticket or make you "donate" the money to the court in return for a dropped ticket (they make their money and you don't get the insurance hike). So most people never appeal. But the reason for the de novo review is that this type of court probably doesn't meet due process standards :-/

Speeding tickets are tough to fight. You really have to prove that the cops speed reading was inaccurate, which is a factual based arguement. That will only get you so far, as the court almost always believes the cop and they take laser readings as 100% accurate. Neither should be the case unfortunately. I can't remember who it is here, but he's got a TON of info on laser guns and they are far from perfect.

I'd first start by asking for discovery. I still haven't done this so I don't know the exact process. But I believe you can simply write to the police department and as for all the evidence against you, so long as you have a pending action (which you do). I'd ask for the laser gun maintanence records, officers training, a deposition from the officer (so you're not suprised as to what the officer brings up in court) etc. More than likely you will be denied. Just keep asking though. But denial of discovery is probably enough to appeal to the court of appeals if you lose in the lower court since it's your right to know the evidence against you so that you can properly defend yourself.

But again, speeding tickets are tough. In CT you usually talk to the prosecutor before hand. They tend to be much more practical and throw out the BS tickets... or at least that's my experiance. Not sure about MA's process though. Hopefully it will be similar. Just remember, never ever admit to anything. Don't lie obviously, just don't say "well I could have been going 75" or anything like that.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not on our cars. The Borla is not that loud unless you are really into the throttle

Which I never was. Testpipes don't affect the volume either. It only makes the exhaust sound a little deeper and gives it an M3ish type rasp at certain rpms. Again WOT is different. But for our cars the borla is nothing. The only thing quieter is a Miltek 3"... which is stocklike. The true duals on the other hand (AWE's twin 1 and 2, ASP and UCC's) are much louder.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did you miss this.....also posted below.....see statement (2)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm">http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 11-03-2007, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Glad to see that you will fight it. Let me know if you need any support. I will gladly help.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Responses.....

I misunderstood and thought you were ticketed for the exhaust. The front plate thing, again, just makes you more of an easy target.

It's a good lesson that you are getting "jaded". This is the profession you are entering into so you should see how it really works. Even in the practice of medicine, so much of what I'm forced to do has nothing to do with medical decisions. it's all about money and someone's political agenda. sad but true.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:03 PM

So in theory I could get ticketed for an modified exhaust QUIETER than stock.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Take it one step further.....

Call your local news station or newspaper and see if they will run a story on "Abuse of Power" by Police. Things like: writing a ticket for one thing then saying you were going faster and they gave you a break. Things like: ticketing you for an aftermarket exhaust without proof that it is illegal.

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over again in MA for equipment violations