NAAC High Performance Driving School to be cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
CP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Then why did you wait until the last day to commit to post about the deadline?

I got an email about it at the beginning of the week. If this forum gets more views, then why didn't anyone post about the situation earlier?

Doing things at the absolute last minute seems to be a recurring theme with this club. I've had discussions in private with several members about this philosophy, but noboby ever seems to bring it out into the open. What gives?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default Primarily because it wasn't apparent until Monday at noon that there might even be an issue...

Tuesday evening I got around to signing up and saw the attendee list....and made an attempt to find some more students....wish I had started earlier.

ScottD did put a post out Monday evening, and followed up with a <bump> last night...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Really?? Cuz I got an email sayin we needed 19 people and another saying it was cancelled!

I just wish there was more straight-talk regarding this event- when you need 19 people to register that means only a handful have registered. I know you guys are doing your best to organize this event and I truly respect that- I wish it was still a go... but saying "might be cancelled" means it WILL be cancelled. You're either sure it's a go or not. When you need 19 people for anything to happen, it's a fail. I'll try it again next time.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey, who are you calling Henry???

I wish I could go, but weekdays are tough.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Then why did you wait until the last day to commit to post about the deadline?

Cy,

You seem to have a some inside information on this club since you've had the pleasure of private conversations regarding the club's "philosophy" of doing things at the last minute.

Here's some things you may not know. The cost of putting on an event like the one NAAC had planned and successfully run in years past is at a minimum roughly a $20,000 proposition. Keep in mind that the majority of clubs like NAAC are non-profit and run most of our events at or below cost.

Most clubs, including my own NAAC club work on a pretty tight budget and barely have enough working capital to do things like make track deposits, buy helmets for students to rent, make deposits for no profit teen driving clinics, etc. Any money that is made is carefully spent on items the club needs to be successful, or socked away for things like having the ability to make large deposits for events with no guarantee of return.

It might also interest you to know that opening up registration for track and other driving events can't be done responsibly until contracts are delivered (sometimes much later than we would like).

Please also keep in mind that clubs like NAAC exist and are successful because of the volunteers who spend countless hours on the logistics of running such a club, or preparing classroom materials, and even meeting to make sure our policies keep everyone as safe and happy as possible.

Still, you seem to be unhappy. Since I'm not on the Board of Directors and just a volunteer who has given hundreds if not thousands of hours over the past decade to help make sure that students, instructors, and volunteers have a great, safe time, I'll be sure and let the folks at NAAC know how unhappy you seem to be with their performance.

You can speak with me at the Lars Anderson Museum on Father's Day this year where I will be doing things at absolute last minute between changing my son't diapers.

Thank you for your support and good day sir,

Paul Royal
Old 03-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Really?? Cuz I got an email sayin we needed 19 people and another saying it was cancelled!

Saying it "might be cancelled" did not mean that it "will be cancelled (sic)." I am sure that you would find that the folks at NAAC did everything they could to find a viable way to hold the event. In fact, there was over twenty man hours spent just last night in trying to come to the right decision, so it was hardly a done deal. The folks running NAAC and the Board of Directors (I am not on the BoD) are as straight talking and open a group as you will find anywhere. In this case they did indeed do their level best again to organize and hold our biggest event of the year. I think everyone is disappointed, and frankly it probably took more courage to cancel the event than to hold it. I applaud their efforts, and I truly do hope that you will try it again next time.

Paul Royal (former NEQ VP and BoD member, former NAAC BoD member, ACNA Instructor)
Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Things are not always as they seem and are never, ever as easy as they appear.

Last night, we held an open conference call to discuss our options for the NHMS event. This was not just a BoD call, but one that was open to any active member of the NAAC. By "active", I mean one that is committed enough to want to be on the business email list.

The call lasted two plus hours. There were eight board members on the call, in addition to 4+ other members. That's 20 man hours. Add in the time put in prior via dozens of emails, creating the break-even analysis, calls and inquiries etc and you're looking at upward of 30 man-hours. Now throw in the time needed to write, print and mail the letters, process the checks and update the files for all the participants and instructors, combined with all the miscellaneous loose ends and follow-ups.

All of this was done for the single decision to cancel the event. Just that one decision.

Now imagine what it must take to put on the event.

We're all volunteers. There's no compensation other than the satisfaction in seeing the smiles of happy participants. And we're not professionals either. There are skill sets that we are lacking and would love to acquire. The only way to get those skills is to either do the job as best as we can and learn as we go, or find a willing volunteer who recognizes a problem and wants to lend a hand, even if it's only to stuff envelopes.

Either way, there's an apparent issue that you see as problematic. You've talked to other people who agree. I would suggest talking to us. We listen. We want to improve. We want this all to be as seamless and perfect as possible, but we need feedback, suggestions, answers and ideas.

The easiest way is to join the NAAC business list. The bulk of the work is discussed there. You can make suggestions and observations openly and without fear. We will listen.

Of course, there is a danger here. In any volunteer organization, when somebody starts speaking out about issues and somebody starts listening, the person who started talking gets slowly drawn in. It's incremental, and usually goes unnoticed, but after a bit, they become a member of the participating volunteers. With no fanfare or notice, they find themselves caring and, from there, it's an easy step to committed.

Then one day that somebody will look around as they are unloading crates and setting up cones and see their friends sweating beside them and realize that the event itself is not nearly as important or as fun as the people whom they are working with. Even worse, they'll know that no thanks or compensation are necessary or expected for the job they do. It's all in the smiles of the participants, the laughter among friends and the satisfaction of a job well done.

So, send me an email. I'll happily put you on the business list. You can tell us how we can make this club better.

How are you at stuffing envelopes?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default "saying "might be cancelled" means it WILL be cancelled"

This is totally not true.

Spring events tend to fill at the last minute. The beginning of the season always takes people by surprise. This makes it very difficult for organizers to gauge participation.

NAAC had a very difficult decision to make on this event. The very last thing they wanted to do was cancel the event and have 20 people jump up and announce that they were planning on attending but had not taken the time to register yet. NAAC made extra efforts to "beat the bushes" for anyone interested.

I started this thread, and I attempted to lead with a title that would grab some attention. This post (or any post from me) was not edited or proofed my anyone at NAAC and should not be considered official communication from NAAC. I apologize if the title or content caused any confusion.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Im grateful there are people out there organizing these great events. I'm just bummed
Old 03-13-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default POSTPONED -new details- & 100% refund details inside

Friday 10:AM

Last night the NAAC Bod and several other AW members reviewed the finances and the viability of the event. Canceling it was our last resort.

We have an obligation to our members to continue to provide a well run event to a high standards level.
Without sponsorship, more registered entrants and the economy looming, we decided we had to cancel the event, as we were up against deadline parts of the track contracts and looking at a substantial $ loss to run the event in 30 days.

100% (including motorsport reg fees) refunds are going back to entrants.

GOOD NEWS:
The reason I say "postponed" is....we are in the process of confirming an EARLIER track date April 4/5 (Sat & Sun) with another club and will be offering this alternative date & opportunity to our membership who signed up for NHMS a week later.

Keep looking out for these details.
Its still a work in progress.

We are attempting to satisfy our membership and clients with an alternative track day at NHMS (possibly April 4&5 weekend) in response to our participant base who signed up and committed to us prior today's cancellation notice.

Keep watching this forum for new details.
-Scott

Quick Reply: NAAC High Performance Driving School to be cancelled?