new to area and i have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to area and i have a couple questions

I just moved to boston from the west coast and have a couple questions. I am living in the south end and I was wondering where everyone goes for oil changes etc around here. Any recommendations on cool places to hang out in the city would be appreciated too.
If you see a B5 silver S4 with washington plates it is probably me. And don't worry I did not subject my car to a cross country drive but shipped it, if anyone ever needs an enclosed transport I would recommend Horseless carriage in a second. thanks
Old 07-08-2006, 11:01 AM

Default might want to register your car...

...as MA doesn't take kindly to permanent residents having out-of-state plates, though it helps yours aren't from Florida, the #1 tax-evader state :-). It won't take long for the local 'Parking Patrol' to figure out you're here long-term and you could get slapped (residents have to pay sales tax in certain cases, and a yearly excise tax.) Massrmv.gov has plenty of info, paperwork, etc.

I think Four Brothers Automotive is reasonably close to you- I've also always heard good things about the Benz Den. You also have a half dozen Audi dealers to choose from...

A bunch of us are meeting up in Waltham tonight to watch Rendezvous (the film of the Ferrari going through Paris early in the morning) and Ronin...see the thread in this forum for details. I'm a volunteer with the local ACNA chapter, and we do a lot of social events- you missed German Car Day at the Larz Anderson Museum, but we're doing a group drive up to see Bob Bahre's private collection (open once a year!) in Maine in a week or so. There's a thread in the forum about that too. Email me if you want in!

If clubbing is your thing, Lansdown street used to be the center of that sort of thing. For some great BBQ and coffee houses, Davis Square is nice- Harvard Square is always "happening" as well. Both are off the red-line. Downtown Crossing- there's a GREAT place for lunch called Chacarero that makes these really tasty Chilean sandwiches.

If you haven't already- get yourself a T pass, the MBTA system is extensive. A bit smelly at times, but extensive, between the commuter rail, busses, and subway. The MBTA website (www.mbta.com) has a very cool 'trip planner' which will give you directions on the system to get from point a->b, how long it'll take, etc. It often gives 2-3 alternative routes as well. Watch out on the green line- it can be very slow during peak hours.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:01 PM
SUV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Welcome. Couple of things:

You've picked a good neighborhood. I lived in the South End for a couple years and still have some friends there. I'm there from time to time.

Unfortunately, the South End is a bit unfriendly to Audis... especially B5 S4s... I recommend getting a parking space (spendy, I know) that's off street, as there are many, many, many stories of stolen or partially stolen headlights. Either a space, or always try to park under a well-lit area on bigger, well-trafficked streets (Tremont or Columbus or even Washington). Never post any real details on where you live/park etc as it's not entirely clear whether the thieves troll this board or not. (There was some badness that went down at last summer's WaterFest in NJ where 3 or 4 cars were all stolen in one night from the same hotel parking lot... it appeared as though the thieves had been following the posts and knew all the details). I tend not to post much in the way of mods or pics also. Maybe I'm just crazy paranoid.

Also, like 200q20vt said, you'll pretty much have to get MA plates (I know... I'm from CO originally and it just about killed me to lose the West Side status), or you'll go insane trying to park / pay parking tickets. There was a guy I went to college with who had OR plates... I think he's still in the South End/Back Bay.. I see his old Outback with OR plates parked on meters all over the place.. he never gave in!!

Anyway, the parking police are serious in the S.E. Watch out for: handicap ramps ($115), hydrants ($50) and crosswalks ($50, I think). I still have the map of all of these things ingrained in my brain from when I lived there.
-----------------------------------------

All of the warning stuff aside, Beantown is a good city. In your area: all the restaurants are awesome. I like Franklin Cafe, Metropolis, Delux, and Flour.

Depending on your age, trendy-meter and party-meter, the following bars are more or less fun: Jury's, Clery's and the Butcher Shop are all near you. I also like a lot of the bars on the other side of the river: Thirsty Scholar, B-Side, Cambridge Brewing Company, Peoples Rebuplic, Tavern on the Square. Phoneix Landing and Middle East have great music depending on what you're into. Middle East has three "rooms" - Jazz dinner, small stage act and large stage act. Most of the shows I've seen in the two bigger rooms have been rock-ish. The Phoenix Landing has awesome DJ (vinyl) music. One of the few places I've found that has a good underground sound in Boston. The two nights I like the best there are their Drum and Bass and hip hop nights.

Welcome! Have fun and stay safe!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Welcome- I just moved to Boston from the midwest (yesterday)!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Welcome. Couple of things:

thanks for the info, I don't think that I would have assumed that I need to watch what specific details I post but I will. And I already took part of your advice and got a garaged spot, I got that in hope that I wouldn't have to change my plates for a while, since I am sure my insurance will jump. anyway thanks for your answer, all the info helps, I will try some of those places out I actually tried clerys last night. later
Old 07-08-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Welcome- I just moved to Boston from the midwest (yesterday)!

it is pretty fun moving, pretty impressive that you already have internet, I am on someone elses wireless network still. Did you drive? I shipped my car enclosed just because I hate to drive from seattle to boston, which I have done before. keep me posted if you discover anything cool. later
Old 07-08-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Re: might want to register your car...

do you think that I need to switch my plates if I have a garaged spot? I really don't want to yet.

thanks for invites, I will at some point join up with you guys, but I already have plans tonight and my girlfriend is coming in town next weekend and I don't think she would appreciate a drive up to maine. thanks also for the recommends on places etc. later