NH Temp Plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Uki
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NH Temp Plates

I was wondering how many of you folks had experience with NH temp plates. I recently moved to NH from CT and i'm in the process of bringing my newly purchased b5 s4 up. The car has no current registration, etc. After reading through the NH DMV's website, the clearly state NH temp plates are not valid in MA. Now i'm curious to see how many of you have driven a car with temp plates through MA and gotten stopped. I'm just transporting the vehicle to my new place in NH and don't want to flatbed it, but also do not want to get stopped and get the run around by mass state troopers either. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That is a pickle you got yourself into. I would just register the car in Conn. until...(edited)

the next registration is due, or get the in transit plate:

From the NH DMV website:

Q. I AM AN OUT OF STATE RESIDENT AND PURCHASED A VEHICLE THROUGH A PRIVATE SALE IN NH. HOW CAN I TRANSPORT THE VEHICLE HOME?
A. You can obtain a 20-day in transit plate. Submit a photo ID and a properly assigned title, along with a $10.00 fee, to the DMV, Concord, or any registration substation. In-transit plates cannot be issued to Massachusetts residents.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You could also try and play dumb if you get stopped in MA.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:24 AM

Default I think it states that NH temp plates can't be issued to MA residents.....

As far as I know, NH temp plates are legal to put on cars in MA, they just cannot be issued to MA residents.

We have customers who live in NH bring temp plates with them when they take delivery of their cars.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's really all about your primary residence. Once your Driver's License says NH, you can...

... get temporary tags with just the title and a $10.00 fee.

For your own protection though, I recommend putting the car on your insurance policy if you're going to drive it up from CT.

For that matter, If you have the title, and proof of Ins., you can just go to your new town hall in NH, and walk out with valid brand new plates. It's really easy.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:37 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default The reason MA resident's can't get NH temp plates is because many MA peeps...

try to get NH regs to avoid teh insane MA taxes and insurance.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:49 AM

Default I took a gamble...

Since I was waiting for the title to arrive. I attached some plates from another vehicle and drove 65 the whole way to the NH RMV and got some temp plates until the title arrived. Not excatly legal, but cheap and effective. But seriously, if you have the title...just go to the town hall and get real plates.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you absolutely CAN drive your car with NH temp plates in MA...just can't register it here, unless

you want to pay the MA sales tax.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:58 AM
Uki
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: It's really all about your primary residence. Once your Driver's License says NH, you can...

Well the car has been financed, I have all my paperwork associated with that, and it is insured currently just waiting to figure out how to get it to NH without getting harrassed. The problem is, I don't have my NH license yet, still have my connecticut one, the lady at the bedford town clerk's office informed me I can still register the vehicle in NH, but that i'd need to get my NH license within 10 days of registering the vehicle.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you can drive legally on a bill of sale for *I think* 10 days in MA without any plates at all

make sure you bring that documentation with you just to avoid hassles, but you should be fine with the temp, I see them all the time down here

Quick Reply: NH Temp Plates