Notchy Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notchy Shifter

I bought my car and it has a short shift kit in it. The first and second gear are extremely notchy, so that on more than half occasions that I pull 1st to 2nd with any sort of aggressiveness it will hang up and cause a missed shift. Anyone have a problem with this? I hear it can be caused by the safety lock for reverse if the shifter isn't adjusted properly. Any advice would be great.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What brand of SS?

If you reduce the throw, you're essentially shortening the lever arm. That means that any resistance encountered will be magnified. The "notchiness" that results from going to a short shifter is the magnified feeling of the detents that keep the shifter locked into each gear. In order to pop it into each gear, you have to overcome the resistance of these detents. With the reduced lever arm of the SS, you feel that more.

That said, some shifters will be notchier than others because the have more/less slop. The better short shifters (ToyGuy, VAST, etc.) reduce the slop and make the increased notchiness a worthwhile trade. Very happy with my ToyGuy but did notice an increased notchiness.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I drove a modded B5 S4 with a SS a few weeks ago and noticed the same thing...

I was test driving it for a member out in Cali who was looking to purchase it.

The seller had purchased the car with the SS installed and did not know which brand it was. But it was VERY notchy, kinda drove me crazy.

I've driven Southboro's car with the ToyGuy and it was perfect, VERY smooth. I was totally sold on it right after driving his car and hope to get one setup on my A6 sometime soon.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't know what kind of shifter it is...

It was on the car when i bought it and I don't see any markings on the assembly that would tell me what kind it is. It is only 1st to second that is really bad, and I keep hearing that it is the reverse lockout that is out of alignment. The TT thread had something about it.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc.html

I'll buy a new SS if that'll solve the problem but if it is just an alignment than getting a new SS won't solve it anyways right?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It could be the shifter or it could need lube

It's easy to lubricate if you have some white lithium grease (spray can works best). Unscrew the shift ****, then lift up the entire ****er surround with the shift boot still attached. It will lift up far enough that you can unscrew the sound proofing plate and spray some lube directly on the shift ball. I've had to do that twice with my V&S shortshifter.