Possible Boston area relocation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Boston area relocation

Not entirely sure how to pose the question as I know next to nothing about the area. Scratch that. I know nothing about the area.
I'm exploring an employment opportunity in Boston proper, and the *only* way it would fly with my wife would be if it were a reasonably parallel lifestyle move.
My current benchmark is Bucks County, PA; in fact I live on the outskirts of a Norman Rockwell-ish boro of 2500. One stop light. You know the drill.
I have no problems with a commute of an hour or more, train or auto. As my wife would leave her career if this were to come to fruition, I doubt I'd want to spend much more than $600M for a house for myself and the girls (4yrs/7 months).
Thoughts? Direction? Communities?
I'll be flying up there next week, and will be put in touch with the relocation/realtor, but it would be nice to dance around the internet a little to get a feel for things.
Thanks.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Take a look at Dover and Sherborn

Both are about 40 minutes from Back Bay. Dover has 3 stop lights, Sherborn has one. There won't be a ton of sub-600 houses, but there should be some. The school system that the two towns share is top-notch.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2nd

If Sherborn has one, I haven't seen it . Just kidding. Both very nice areas with decent access to I-95 (Rte 128) that will get you to I-90 and on into the city. You will be doing the commute with everyone else, so 40 minutes from Back Bay is probably on average. Could be much, much worse.

I live in Needham, close to both Sherborn and Dover, and as Mr. Mirror says, $600k will get you a house, almost. Schools is where it is at, though.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Boston RE $$$ -- ave house value in Dover $933K, Sherborn $636K

<ul><li><a href="http://re.boston.com/Community/community_detail.asp">http://re.boston.com/Community/community_detail.asp</a</li></ul>
Old 02-28-2005, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you are working downtown and don't want to drive in...

find a community along the Commuter Rail, either North Station or South Station, whichever is closer to work. That way, you do not ahve to worry about parking, long drives, etc, but you will be a slave to the train schedule. Check out the routes on MBTA.com.

I live in Lexington, great community, a bit more suburban than rural. But as others have said, housing ain't cheap. $600k will get you a small cape in Lexington that will need some work.

Check out the Real Estate link in Boston.com for housing on the market.

Best of luck! Enjoy your visit to Beantown!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Car, train, makes no difference to me...

... as I've had a 120 mile per day round trip drive into, out of, and past philly (down to Wilmington, DE) for the past several years. And previously was a slave to the train to NYC.
I think I'd be looking for something a little further out, as I've no interest in a fix-it cape for 6ooM. Heck, I can find that in Princeton, NJ! But that's why I live 20 minutes out of Princeton, and 40 out of Philly. It ain't cheap here, but gads...
Great suggestions so far, but can the collective wisdom think "greater radius"?! Londonderry, NH? Bellingham? Are there any new home builders other than Toll Bros and Pulte? Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 02-28-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Move to Providence, RI

Do like me... Live in a fantastic urban setting with every culture represented, fabulous nightlife and great eating. Commute is an hour of relatively steady driving up to and around Boston.

I work just north of Boston Driver's home in Bedford, average commute is 75 minutes.

Oh yea, housing is about 1/3 to 1/2 the price and you get a decent amont of space. I got a 1900 sq ft 'seaside' victorian for $225k 2 years ago on a quiet dead end st with views of Narragansett Bay.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default try south of the city, then

I can't speak to the Rockwell-ish boro lifestyle, but a colleague lives in Plainville (30 miles from Boston) and he just loves his community. $450k for a reasonable, non-fixer-upper home there, methinks.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:56 PM

B.T.T., You still want my extra AW plate frame?
Old 02-28-2005, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my parents live in Foxboro. Well priced within your range I would say

schools there arent the *best* but arent bad either. Same goes for Plainville, as we live 100 yards from Plainville.

Quick Reply: Possible Boston area relocation