Possible Boston area relocation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's the area my wife was looking into...

I know there a a few Toll Brothers McMansions and the like, plus the rail system. Thanks for your help and suggestions, all...!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Difference is primarily because Dover has many more new homes

Sherborn, on the other hand, has put very strict limits on development.

Medfield is another one to check in to. Their schools have improved greatly over the last few years, and their property values are rising as well.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Possible Boston area relocation

to heck with MA!! Move to Exeter / Stratham / North Hampton, NH - WAY more bang for your buck and a 1:20 minute train ride to Boston (and it's Amtrak, and they have a bar car -- nuff said).

You also have the option of the bus from Newburyport or POrtsmouth, which aren't nearly as horrible as they sound. The commute can truly s@ck if you have small children that you like to spend lots of time with, or a wife that you enjoy seeing, but if you have flexibility with your job, or the ability to telecommute a day or two (or whatever) a week, NH is pretty darn swell, and I've lived in Boston for most of my life (as well as NY, SD & SF). If you MUST live around the Boston area, stay north or west of the city. Getting in from the south Suhuhuhuhuhuhuhuuuuuuckkkkkksssss......
Old 03-01-2005, 06:25 AM

Default The NH theory

All great replies. I've been trying to push the NH agenda as I've always wanted to live there, but my wife grew up in Central NJ and places a high priority on the proximity to city/shopping/arts. Where we are now is close to NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Washington. She's nervous that the further north she gets, the more she'll be in deliverance. I, on the other hand, want land and a stress free post-work environment. We'll see.

Thanks again, I'll look into them all. Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Canton and Sharon are great communities right on the commuter rail

I grew up in Canton and live in Sharon. We got a great house in a private setting on 1.15 acres. Needless to say there are lots of great communities to chose from.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default go for NH.. I live in southern NH and work in Needham MA, just west of Boston.

I grew up in MA, and went to college in NH.. I love the NH lifestyle.. It's also great to make MA$$ and pay a NH mortgage..

I live in Mont Vernon, just west of Nashua.. I have 4.5 acres, 3 bedroom 2 bath cape 2600 sf.. I also have a 30 x 40 barn.. I paid low 300's!!! This allows my wife to be a stay at home mom..

My commute is 1hr w/ no traffic, and with the newly expanded route 3, it's ussally 1hr to 1:20 each way.. Some people think I'm crazy, but I enjoy my S4, and I enjoy living where I do. So.. I just do it..

Drop me an email, and I can help set you up with some nice towns to start looking in.. For southern NH, try lookin at Hollis, Amherst.. Hollis is great, and only 10 minutes off route 3 (the main highway).
Old 03-01-2005, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mansfield is nice town. Next to Foxboro and one stop South of Sharon on the train.

30 miles from Downtown Boston, 20 miles from Providence. It's located right where I-95 and I-495 meet so its easy to get almost anywhere from their. The average 4 bedroom 2,500 sq ft Colonial house will run in the $450K to $550K range. Happy hunting.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default We live in Franklin, MA...along commuter rail...great town..good location.

...take a look at the map...and see if it's in an area that's not too far from the city. It usually takes us 40 minutes (via the Mass Pike) to get to downtown Boston (not during high traffic hours). The commuter rail takes 50 minutes.

Good luck!
-ted
Old 03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup..Bellingham is next to Franklin.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The communities stated by Ming are the ones to look at. Great locations. More......

You can get an amazing home for the money. We do have high property tax but luckily no income or sales tax (=. The Amherst/Hollis area is beautiful w/ enough land avail and w/in 20 min of Nashua for plenty of shopping. Good luck and let me know if you need any other info.

Quick Reply: Possible Boston area relocation