question regarding inspection stickers: when did rear license plate frames become illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last time i checked it's a non moving violation so no points
Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

station made me take it off or he would just fail my car on the spot
Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Time to find a new station

At least he didn't fail you for the huge plumes of black smoke coming from under the hood. :-)
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have made this argument before...as long as the registration numbers are visible...

...AND the "MASSACHUSETTS" is visible, you should be fine.

The RMV has a misleading Q&A on this very topic, which goes beyond what the specific statute requires.

From the RMV website Q&A:

Q: I was told my vehicle failed because the dealer license plate frame obstructs the logo "The Spirit of America" or "Massachusetts."
A: Regulations require that all letters, numbers, stickers, and symbols must be clearly visible on the number plate. A number plate frame that obstructs any part of the plate is illegal, and you could be fined for having an obstructed plate.

However, the "regulation" I am assuming the RMV is referencing is <a href="http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-6.htm">Chapter 90 Section 6 of Massachusetts General Laws</a>, which states (in part, I omitted a bunch of stuff about trailers, etc and left the pertinent language):

"Every motor vehicle or trailer registered under this chapter when operated in or on any way in this commonwealth shall have <b>its register number</b> displayed conspicuously thereon by the number plates furnished by the registrar...one number plate to be attached at the front and one at the rear of said motor vehicle...but if the registrar issues but one number plate it shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle so that it shall always be plainly visible. The said number plates shall be kept clean with the numbers legible and shall not be obscured in any manner by the installation of any device obscuring <b>said numbers</b>..."

The statute talks only about "said numbers" meaning the registration numbers, not the "Spirit of America" or toher slogan. I would argue that the state name is essential in identifying the registration numbers, as that is an integral part of registration ID, but a slogan? No. There is NOTHING in the underying law that specifies that ALL LETTERS AND CONTENT of a registration plate be unobscured. Only that the number itself not be obscured.

I will proudly wear the AudiWorld plate frame, which displays the registration number, the state name, but obscures the "Spirit of America"

Thoughts from representatives from local law enforcement??
Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

my car, not yours, YFF!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If they are, then a lot of car dealers are sending cars off the lot ready to fail inspection.

I still have a BMW Gallery frame on mine.

I despise dealer stickers and logos on the body because I feel they are defacing the car itself...almost like graffiti. But I can live with a plate frame.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Hondas are reliable!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Always were. And rightly so. They are VERY dangerous.

I salute all the fine legislators and law enforcement officers who strive to protect me from this clear danger.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh no...LOOK OUT!!! :^D
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, that's what the station told me.

Quick Reply: question regarding inspection stickers: when did rear license plate frames become illegal?