sooo, will snow tires cause the car to shake a bit when driving over dry road?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sooo, will snow tires cause the car to shake a bit when driving over dry road?

I didnt notice anything this morning when I was driving to the highway because all the roads I take still were covered in snow......but when I got on the highway, the car started to shake as I went faster. Possibly caused by the snow tires? Im almost positive that my alignment is ok because I tested it by letting go of the steering wheel last week for a few seconds to see what it would do......

I hope I can blame the snow tires for this. THInk Im right?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they didn't shake before, you probably have some snow/ice on the rim throwing off the balance.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Did you clean the snow out of your wheels?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Snow/ice stuck in wheel?

When you drive through deep snow, it will often get stuck between the wheel spokes. The heat from your brakes, etc can melt it a little and it will freeze to the wheel when your car sits, so then the wheel is out of balance and shakes at high speeds.
If you can knock the snow out of the wheel or wait for it to melt, hopefully the shaking will go away.

There's also a chance that the tires are just out of balance, but you can determine that when the wheels are clear of ice,snow
Old 12-14-2007, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd, huge pain in the *** with tight wheels
Old 12-14-2007, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Yep, no shaking on dry roads. Like others say, check for snow/ice on the inside of wheel.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Very common after a winter storm...

Go to a self serve car wash and wash out the wheel wells. It helps to get the brakes hot first with some heavy braking, then hose them down thoroughly.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd all of the comments below. Heated garage that melts snow/ice off FTW!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Me Avus' looked like white discs when I got home - surely had nothhhhhhhhhing to do with the...

...THREE parking lots I violated on the way home, or my inordinately all too often use of the ebrake.

Naa.

Being the ubersmahhht guy I am, I even grabbed a survery stake when I got home and poked it all out while it was still hot and melty.

Did it help?

I'm left wundrin' if I'd not been better off leaving one solid even massive hunk in them. I got on 84 this a.m. and the car shook so violently over 60 it was shaking nasal drips out of my nose. NICE! And whoa momma, forgot to do the "brake check" before I got to the first stop when I left - Brembos felt like Model T drums. Super!

Being the stubborn *** I am and not wanting to pull over as I had to go get gas anyway, I set the cruise @ 60 and suffered up 8 miles of epileptic fits.

Awesome.

I poked out the remainder when I got to the station. The survey stake will stay in cabin for the season yes.

Will it stop me from said lot violation / ebrakes? NEVAH! 8-)
Old 12-14-2007, 05:23 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need pics of snot flying out your nose as the car shakes violently from snow in wheels...

Quick Reply: sooo, will snow tires cause the car to shake a bit when driving over dry road?