xpost from OT: If I'm buying a car from NY and I plan to drive it back to MA, wtf do i do/who do I

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know anybody in the car business that might be willing to lend you a dealer plate?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wow, that is a very good idea. My uncle's friend runs a used car lot, worth a shot to see if he

wouldn't mind. I hadn't even thought of that.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default call up chris @ force 5 auto, he does car transport

he shipped my audi from from ct to nh for $350
Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Get NY temp plates

Though, it all depends on the laws in NY (call their DMV). When I bought my car in Ohio, I got Ohio temp plates to drive back to CT on. The plates were good for 30 days, so I drove around on them for a while :-) No issues what-so-ever.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Default I've done this before...

I bought my MR2 in Virginia while living in Texas and drove it all the way back with no plates. Virginia has the same law MA has in that the plates stay with the owner, not the car. In Texas, the plates stay with the car, not the owner... so... that was a bit of a dilemma for me and Virginia doesn't offer temporary tags, only a transfer sheet that's good for 2 days.

What I did though, was I called my insurance beforehand with the VIN and had it added, so I was covered. Of course with the quasi-assbackward marriage between insurance and registration that MA has, this might not be possible.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default back in 2004, MA did not allow NY paper plates

I picked up a car from a NYC dealer, and somehow got NJ paper tags for the ride to Boston. Funny part was how I was unable to mount the plate in or near the bracket (needed vice grips to redo the hardware)

So I put the paper plate in the rear window, which had 5% limo tint lol. Fun ride, didnt see a single cop car and loved the fact that noone could drop a dime on me with the invisible plates. I should have duct taped the paper plate on the car, but at that point I wanted to beat traffic and hit the road without stopping for tape
Old 10-24-2007, 01:32 PM

Default not true , you have the 7 days if you lost possesion of the car the plates came off of

no matter what you did to the old car.

From the RMV :

Is there a Grace Period for Transferring a Registration?
If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from a dealer or purchase a used vehicle or trailer from a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven (7) calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.

Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:

You must be at least 18 years old.
The newly acquired vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle or trailer.
You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle.
You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle.
The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle.
Please note, there is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.<ul><li><a href="http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/reg2.htm">http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/reg2.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lol. So what does Mass want you to do?

The more I live in this state the more I hate it... not gonna lie.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/registration.htm

# 16 or # 18 for you.

#18 is: http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/7daylaw.pdf<ul><li><a href="http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/registration.htm">ANSWERS</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: xpost from OT: If I'm buying a car from NY and I plan to drive it back to MA, wtf do i do/who do I