Considering first HPDE at THill on 1/10&11. Questions inside...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering first HPDE at THill on 1/10&11. Questions inside...

I have never been to a HPDE, but want to do one.

Anyone care to share their experiences?

Is the driving instruction top notch?
Is THill a good track for first timer?
Other impressions of Audi HPDE's welcome

I'm also considering BMW HPDE at Laguna Seca, but I'd rather drive with other Audis.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default THill is a good place to start - that's where I started back in 2007 with ACNA

ACNA is a great place to start - because you do some class room stuff, driving skills stuff and track time.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:48 AM

Default Absolutely the best combination to start (ACNA and THill)

I very very highly recommend you sign-up if it is your 1st time on a track. To address your questions:

1. Is the driving instruction top notch?

YES for learning the basics. Knowing your car limits (exercises in the paddock with cones in the morning of the 1st day). Good emphasis on consistency, the school line, being safe. Once you get all that, you automagically go faster! Really!
However, this is not a racing school. Safety will always come 1st.

2. Is THill a good track for first timer?

YES. There is virtually no walls around the track. Nothing to hit except going "agricultural"... On the other end, if it's your first time you will not even get close to the possibility of going off track ;-)
A lot of different type of turns. I believe the track was designed by SCCA as a "school track". Also, new pavement from last summer is really nice...

3. Other impressions of Audi HPDE's welcome

I had my wife driving for the 1st time at the last event at Sears Point. I had ZERO worried to have her go around the track with my 911. Audi HPDE are all about learning and safety.
This is not your typical HPDE event where some people are here to impress their buddies and give ride alongs to their GF. Driving crazy and thinking nothing could happen to them.
Everybody is here because they love their Audi and are planning on driving that same car back home at the end of the WE.
The banquet on Saturday night is fun, the raffle and the auction keeps you awake ;-)

So bottom line: GO FOR IT, you will have a great time.

The only danger is that you get hooked !!

Rich.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is where I started...July 97
Old 12-08-2008, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 4th that! ACNA + Thill my first, great first timer combo (I will now repeat what others said)

This will be a repeat of what everyone else is saying...

I've done six track weekends and I would absolutely recommend your first time be the ACNA at Thunderhill.

ACNA - safety is the number one priority - instruction is really really (really) good. Classroom work, cone exercises, track time bring you along the right way. Also makes a difference for a first timer that your instructor knows Audis. You build a foundation that will stick with you (be safe, be smooth, do the right line, have good vision).

And... it's fun(!). Fun being around so many Audi cars and people. Ridealongs with instructors are fun. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Even the Porsche and BMW drivers... ;-)

Thunderhill - great track for a beginner. There is lots and lots of runoff (like stealthwagon said, you probably won't be needing it but it's nice to know it's there). Flowing circuit with a variety of corners - good places to start to feel how your car is working.

January? Don't worry about the possibility of rain (and last year it only rained the first morning). May sound crazy to a beginner but a wet track is great place to learn, especially with Quattro.

And as has been said, biggest downside is you'll probably get hooked. My first track day was last January's ACNA at Thill and I've done six weekends now (ACNA Thill, ACNA Laguna, TEAM Reno Fernley, NCRC Thill, ACNA Infineon, TEAM Thill).
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Default T-Hill was where I did my first event. Was great as it rained the first day and was

sunny the next. So it REALLY helped me learn the car. Not to mention it really showed how Quattro performs in the wet.

Dress warm, take MANY towels(in case of rain), and have fun! T-Hill is a great first time track.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You will have fun at either track. Laguna days are harder to come by than THill days...

My first HPDE was with ACNA at Laguna last March, and I had a blast. The track has a lot of history, and if you're a racing fan, it's especially fun to drive there. It's not too technical, not nearly like Infineon, so even a first timer can have fun.

I have never driven with the BMW CCA, but I keep thinking of signing up for one of their events. Others here drive and teach with them and can comment. The ACNA events that I've been to, though, are top-notch. Can't go wrong with them. And driving with other Audi drivers your first time out gives you the advantage of learning from people who know how to handle quattro on track.

I've been to Thunderhill twice with Hooked on Driving. Another great organization, and a great track. Downside of THill is its location. Nothing there but track and farms, plus it's a 3+ hour drive for me, unlike Laguna, which is little more than an hour, if that.

Can't go wrong signing up for THill though. The benefit of learning from other Audi drivers is worth it, and as others have said, it's a great starter track. But if you choose Laguna instead, you won't be disappointed either, and you can always find another Thunderhill event.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Follow up question above...