got loose lug bolts afrer put on 18", where can I buy some better lug bolts locally?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got loose lug bolts afrer put on 18", where can I buy some better lug bolts locally?

in San Francisco or San Jose or bay area.. I don't want to wait in the mail...
also, don't need some performance or whatever, just cheap to lock the wheel well.
or maybe one of you guys have some spare ones? 4 - 5 lugs will do because only one side got loose.

Story:
I took out the stock wheels and put on some 18" AT Italia flash on the car, the lug bolts came loose on the driver front side. I tighten it but it still came loose to make the wheel wobbling, so I guess one of lug bolts is bad or something. When the stock wheels were on the car, there was not a problem. So I also think maybe the lug bolts are too short?
Old 10-23-2004, 11:58 PM
ATH
Elder Member

Check your offsets, if they differ, you need different lugs all around
Old 10-24-2004, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Offset doesn't matter, but aftermarket wheels do usually need different lugs.

Offset affects wheel position relative to the hub, but not the lug requirements per se.

Manuelku: Are you using the original lugs with your new wheels? If so, you probably need new ones all around -- which should have been included. In other words, lugs don't go "bad" -- if the wheel won't torque down properly they're the wrong ones.

There are 3 things you need to make sure are correct: seat type, length and thread pitch. The OEM lugs are ball seat, 27mm long and 14x1.5 pitch.

The seat is the shape of the bottom of the bolt head where it snugs up to the wheel. Most aftermarket wheels use a cone type, so you won't get a snug fit if you're using the OEM ball seats -- and you can actually damage the holes/chamfers on the wheel if you over-torque them. I'll bet the ATs need cone seats.

The length is determined by the thickness of the wheel lug area (note: not the overall wheel width). If the centre lug area of the ATs are thicker than the stock wheels, the original bolts will be too short. This is the same reason people who run spacers need longer bolts. The rule of thumb is that you need 7 complete turns from when the thread first engages to fully tightened. I don't know what the ATs need... try Tire Rack as I think they carry that brand. You could figure it out yourself using the original bolts, but don't over-torque for the reason above.

As an aside, if you're using lug bolts that are too long, they will extend out past the back of the hub and bind up the wheel.

Thread pitch needs are obvious. If you end up buying new bolts, make sure they match.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

locally you can try New Dimensions in San Jose.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:05 AM
ATH
Elder Member

Whoops, was thinking in terms of wheel spacer...
Old 10-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Offset doesn't matter, but aftermarket wheels do usually need different lugs.

I think I found why the front is lose, I put one more lug so total of 5 (it used to only have four lugs) and it locked the front driver side pretty good, no loose at all. so I guess I need just 4 or 5 more lugs for spares. the wheels are AT Italia I think offest is +35 something all around. know around how much for just couple lug bolts?
Old 10-24-2004, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So you only have 4 out of 5 lugs on all your wheels? Jeez...

where do these people come from?

What did you think the extra hole was for? Decoration? James Bond-type spinning blade?

Thanks for wasting our time.

And I still bet you're using the wrong lugs anyway. And they're about $3 each.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: So you only have 4 out of 5 lugs on all your wheels? Jeez...

I bought the car like that, it was like couple weeks ago. I didn't mean to use only 4 bolts. That's why I am coming up here to ask for the place to buy some more lug bolts.. jeez, you just love bashing on people asking question???

And the lugs are conical type, it's not ball type, I think the car had aftermarket wheels on it but they were sold, as well as the lock lug bolts, so ended up only 4 conical bolts on steelies.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Re: 3 bux each, I think I have the lug bolts already, do they sell locks too??

how much are the locks? I think that's what I need. thanks!
Old 10-26-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Try America's tire company.....

and get "tuner" lugs. The key is publicly available but most likey someone will have to think about it too much to want to steal your wheels. Cost about 14 bucks for 4.