Hosed in Sacramento-- hlep -- free dinner :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hosed in Sacramento-- hlep -- free dinner :)

I've been meaning to lube the Forge BPV's on my 2001.5 S4 Avant for some time. Yesterday afternoon I finally made it down to the auto store to pick-up the required grease and other items. I hadn't touched my BPV's since the install, about a year ago, so everything was new to me again. I found everything with the pass-side BPV to be expected, fine. While removing the driver side BPV I tore up the vacuum line that attaches to the pass-side of the BPV. Also, I found a tiny tear under the hose clamp in the big hose that comes into the BPV on the driver side (not the bottom hose or the vacuum hose heading off to the pass-side) and a very-very small amount of oil in the same side as the tear. The tear is so small I decided it wouldn't hurt to put everything back together order a replacement and drive the car till my new hose came in. Bad idea or not, my plans went awry this morning when I went to several auto parts joints looking for the braided vacuum hose that I tore up. Nobody has high-heat, high-pressure hose like that. I called the local dealers (Lasher and Neilo), they don't have it either. So now my baby is grounded.

My questions to all of you...

Anyone know where in the Sacramento area I may be able to source the braided high-temp, high-pressure vacuum hose I need to get back on the road, today?
Seems to me a piece of braided hose shouldn't be all that specialized. Isn't it reasonably common? I don't need the Audi hose, just the same or better type of hose.

Do I need to worry about that tiny bit of oil I found?

Am I insane thinking I could put everything back (assuming I replace the vacuum hose) and drive for a few days on the hose with the tiny tear?

I would really like to be able to pick-up the piece of hose and get this done today. First response that leads me to a place with what I need in stock gets free dinner at the place of their choosing.

TIA!
Old 09-06-2003, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "free dinner at the place of their choosing"

that might get you in trouble...since i have ruth's chris on my mind...

anyways hi-temp/braided/vac-line is not commonly stocked, but the normal rubber vacuum hoses they sell at any auto store (kargen, checkers, pep boys, auto zone, u get the idea) will work fine. many people use these lines for their boost gauges. the little tear i would not worry about oo much, but if your in doubt wrap it quickly with some duct tape. (gotta keep a roll of duct tape and a bag of zip ties on you at all times) repair these things as soon as you get back to your local stomping grounds.

however i have no idea where that oil is coming from...