Laguna Seca lap times....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laguna Seca lap times....

Haven't tracked the S4 at laguna yet. I get cheaper days at T-Hill and Sears on week days. Was planning on signing up for Speed Ventures this past weekend but the rain forecast convinced me otherwise. But a couple of friends and I decided to swing by and get rides...for me it was abit of recce.

Anywayz, my point. There was one lone Audi out there...a "kitchen sink" stage III S4. It pretty much had everything you can do to it done to it. Sweet ride. Driver (for discretion's sake, I won't name him, didn't get his okay) was a good guy, and in the high intermediate run group. I got a ride and lord was his car fast...good driver too...nice lines, smooth overall.

Low 1:50's with passenger, 91 octane, street tires and traffic. Very impressive. Same driver/skill with RA-1's and a clear track would shave 2 sec's perhaps.

But then I got a ride with a young instructor in an EXIGE-S...my lord. 1:45, with RA-1's, no traffic, with passenger, 91 oct. Unbelievable handling...telepathic steering.

So it got me thinking about lap times. I STFA and can't seem to find a good Laguna lap time thread. Googleing is a damn pain. So my question is, LAGUNA LAP TIMES...where to find it online? and what times are you guys logging, if you don't mind me asking?

I read that the new BMW 335 does 1:49; professional driver, closed course, street trim. Of course it was driven my a pro but that time seems crazy fast to me none-the-less. And a bone stock EVO 9 MR a 1:47, professional driver, totally stock trim. I think it was road and track?

If my HPDE instructor's knew I made such a big deal about lap times, they'd slam me...but I can't help it given I'd like to give time-trialing a try in a couple of years.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks...
Old 02-05-2008, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When Corey got his brand spanking new S4 back in 2000, he ran Laguna at 1:54 iirc...

Completely stock of course. This was when they had the ramp up before the corkscrew, then the shark teeth to eat the oil pans below - In case the ramp failed to launch one into the tree but caused them to miss the turn altogether. They made it more friendly (faster) in the last 2-3 years.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I did 1:53.4 in my spec miata before they made the berms smaller...

Someone did a 1:47.1 in a spec miata during that same race.

I will try to get someone to time me at the Hooked on Driving event on Feb 29th when I am there with my modified 335.

Yes, you shouldnt be that concerned about lap times...BTW, I am an instructor.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
rbt
AudiWorld Super User

Default don't bother posting here until you're in the 1:05's

J/K ;-)

but see link for story on track record; a ChampCar broke the record last year during testing, previously held by a Honda F1 car. when ChampCar returns for real racin' this May, the record may get broken again during qualifying...maybe.

fwiw, when the RX8 was launched in the US by Mazda, their driver got it down to 1:50.X, bone stock on oem tires. there's a pretty cool vid online. but that was before the curb reshaping work was done, that Audiboy mentions above.<ul><li><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=5&amp;id=2794379">Laguna</a></li></ul>
Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 PM

Default Heard the Vishnu Procede rocks, and it ups the psi by only....

2!? I'll try to make it out there for the Hooked event. My car has a long way to go to be ready for the track BTW and I might not have time to get new pads, rotors, nagging oil leak, and rear tires taken care of by then but I'm sure to swing by, perhaps for some more rides.

No doubt, Laguna is one scary *** track, relative to H-hill and Sears. I swear, the L after the corkscrew makes me want to heave.

If you can post sub 1:47 in the 335!...damn, I'll have to include it on my short list of S4 replacements. Enough about lap times sensei.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Jeremy Clarkson did a 1:57 in an NSX-R!....hehe.

And just read that a S2000, bone-stock 1:50 and the Mazda Speed 3 GT in 1:49, bone stock, pro driver!!...a frickin Speed 3!?! That's hard to believe. The driver was equally shocked I read.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Rest In Peace

Default PeteF in his Radical . . . 1:30.9 . . .

<ul><li><a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=4tZEyz6fI2w">http://youtube.com/watch?v=4tZEyz6fI2w</a</li></ul>
Old 02-05-2008, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Christian (034) would be on his tail with an A4 :D

<ul><li><a href="http://www.034motorsport.com/gallery/d/9572-1/034Motorsport_Redline_Time_Attack_Laguna_07_practi ce.wmv">I love this vid!</a></li></ul>
Old 02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you an instructor with HOD?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM

Default His pedal work is phenomenal...left foot braking is still a...

complete mystery to me. Don't know what it does, when to do it, why you should, and sure as hell won't try it on the track simply out of curiousity.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca lap times....