My Sad Carlsen Audi Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Sad Carlsen Audi Story

The check engine light on my 2001 Audi S4 popped on at around 78K+ miles on my vehicle. I took it to European Auto Works in Mtn View (I'd recommend, btw), and they recorded a Catalytic Converter Efficiency fault (with no other fault codes recorded). They told me to take it to the dealer post haste since the emmissions warranty expired in 2K more miles (news to me that the warranty was even in effect).

The odometer was at 79.3K miles when I got to Carlsen. The service advisor, Joe N. had the codes checked and verified that the Catalytic Conv fault was the only one when I called later that morning and confirmed that they would be replacing the catalytic converter under warranty. I said, ok, great as long as your doing that, take care of the 80K service and do the timing belt/water pump change. I even told him to change the right front O2 sensor that had come up with a fault at 68K miles (no mention of the emmissions warranty being in effect at that time!!).

A few hours later, he calls back and says it's a no go on the converter replacement, that Audi requires an ECM firmware upgrade reflashing prior to accepting the cat codes. I complain bitterly that is not fair because now we have to wait for the code to happen again which gives them more time for the warranty to expire which is imminent. Joe talks to the service manager and ultimately says they'll stand behind it if the fault code happens again. However, I fail to extract a specific assurance of any mileage or timeframe and I didn't get anything in writing. Silly me, being so naive as to assume that people care about their word.

So $3000 later (I also had them fix the leaking differential and tranny seals), I drive out wondering how this is going to turn out. On the way out he tells me that even though I had authorized the O2 sensor replacement because there was no fault code showing for it.

I am relieved when the check engine light pops on again at 79,700 miles. I schedule an appointment for 3 days later. The day before the appointment, I realize that I am going to go over 80K miles unless immediate action is taken, so I drive straight to Carlsen and explain my dilema to Joe N. He registers the car in with a mileage of 79951 miles, and has the fault codes checked while I wait.

The codes come back saying right front O2 sensor (surprise surprise) and catalytic converter fault. Joe says ok, now they WILL be replacing the catalytic converter and that since they have to pull things anyway, I'll only be charged the part for the O2 sensor which seems fair to me especially since they had skipped doing it last time around. I remind him that when he give me the car back I WILL be exceeding 80K miles and is that going to be a problem. He explains that they will just leave the service ticket open till the next day, so no problem whatsoever. I drive out feeling good.

The next day, I arrive for my appointment with mileage at 80050 and Joe checks me in. He again confirms the details as discussed the prior day including the O2 sensor labor being done for free as part of the catalytic convertor replacment.

A few hours later, I get a message from him, please call back he needs to talk about the work. Uh oh, I am getting nervous. I call back and lo and behold he explains that they won't be able to do the catalytic convertor under warranty till we get a fault without the O2 sensor.

But, but, but that's a competely different story than they have told me over the last two days. He stands firms, I say, ok but then I expect them to provide me some written assurance that they will stand behind the warranty when the fault light pops on again with cat fault in 5000 more miles. He says he'll check.

He calls back an hour later to says, no they will not do that. Moreover, he points out that I'm now over 80K miles and my warranty is expired. Tough luck. I can't believe what I am hearing.

I tell them to pick me up to retrieve the car. I hastily write a demand letter reiterating this for Ron Burton, the Carlsen general manager. I hand it directly to Ron and he says that he's sorry that there is nothing they can do for me. I sign the car back out. Later I notice the mileage out says I retreieved the car at 79951. Fortunately if it comes to any questions I have the security video tape from our road assn showing that I drove the car home the prior night even though the Carlsen records show them having possession of it the whole time if it comes to any question of what happened.

Later Ron sends me an email saying that the problem is all my fault for not fixing the O2 sensor when the fault code first intermittently came on at 67K miles a year before. I reply explaining 1) it would have at least been polite to mention that this was a potential warranty issue at that time 2) they could have/should have reflashed the ECM at that time since the cat convertor code was on back then 3) at 79300+ miles I HAD asked them to do it, and it was THEM who declined the work.

Now I have an appointment with European Auto Works tomorrow to get the O2 sensor definitively taken care of. We'll see if the cat code pops back on in the meantime so I know what my real damages are when I take them to small claims court.

Certainly Carlsen will never ever see another penny of business from me.

Daniel

2006 A8L owner
2001 S4 owner
Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Wow...that's so frustrating. Sorry to hear.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 AM

Shakes head. Stealerships need to be sunk.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:14 AM
ATH
Elder Member

Bunch of f'ing snakes! I hate stealerships...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:27 AM

Bastards! Carlsen has definitely lost all my business
Old 10-09-2006, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep, Carlson is hands down the WORST place to take your vehicle

I tell everyone possible to stay away from them. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Did you ask for reco's here on where to take your vehicle? Ton of experience here.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ghetto. People think owning an Audi equates to good service. Honda and Acura of Los Gatos treat you

sooooooo much better. Sorry to hear. I won't go to Carlsen as well.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:29 AM

Way to build customer loyalty...saved a few hundred bux, lost the next car purchase
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 AM

No, Stevens Creek Audi is the WORST place, Carlsen just a runner up!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto circa 1999.

Quick Reply: My Sad Carlsen Audi Story