Stereo (Phatbox) install recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo (Phatbox) install recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a place to get my phatbox installed? I have all the parts, just want someone to do the work.

I tried calling Precision Stereo in Mountain View but they don't do radio installations anymore.

I took my car to Z Auto Sound in San Jose and that was a disaster. I dropped my car off at 10:30 am because it's first come, first served. However, by 3 pm, I didn't even have a quote for how much it would cost. Around noon I was told they'd have plenty of time to do my car because the afternoon was still open. Then at 2:45, they were claiming that they weren't sure they'd have enough time to do my car because they promised 3 other people they would get their cars done, but those people brought their car in after me.

I have a special harness cable so that I can still use my satellite radio with the phatbox installed. But Z Auto Sound first sounded like they didn't know how or understand how to hook that up even though the instructions I gave them included pictures. Then it was like they were afraid to do it because it was something new. So I picked my car up and said I'd take my business elsewhere.

So, any thoughts on where to take my car now? The Precision Stereo place recommended Auto Sound & Security in Redwood City but I was hoping to find a place closer to San Jose/Santa Clara/Campbell area first.

Thanks,

KB
Old 11-13-2004, 05:21 PM
ATH
Elder Member

Default Wait, is this a standard Phatbox install in the trunk, or something else?

If it's the former, it's VERY easy. If you need someone to run a cable from your adapter, I'm sure you can still do it yourself. Otherwise, I had good experience with Monney in RWC, they did my stereo in my old truck and did a great job.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:33 PM

Default It's pretty much standard...just a slightly different harness cable.

Although I was disappointed that the phat box doesn't fit in that cubby hole under the Nav system.

The only thing non-standard is the special harness cable I bought that allows the phatbox and satellite to both be connected at the same time. So there is some extra pin stuff to do (over a phatbox only install), but that's the part I have instructions for (with pics). The trunk mounting part and running the harness cable to the head unit should be standard. Just connecting it to the head unit would be a little different.

I'm a little uncomfortable doing it myself so I thought I would take it to a shop and it would be a breeze. It took me by surprise to have such a difficult time getting the "pros" at Z Auto Sound to do it for me.

KB
Old 11-17-2004, 09:47 AM

Default Get an iPOD instead

You can either a car charger/FM modulator, or a car charger and cassette adapter. The iPOD will be easier to move between any of your cars.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:30 PM

Default I have an ipod, but I want something more integrated.

Besides I already own the phatbox...just want to get it installed. I have an ipod and cassette adaptor, but I'm not inclined to try to traverse the menus on the ipod while I'm driving.

KB
Old 10-22-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Stereo (Phatbox) install recommendation?

I live in the south bay area - Campbell. Who did you finally get to do your install? There are very few car stereo places now that big box stores are everywhere. michael