xm vs sirius reception quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xm vs sirius reception quality

Hi,

Anyone with experience between XM and Sirius reception quality in the Bay Area? Especially on 101 between San Jose and San Francisco? I currently have Sirius but the reception is just ok. Many spots have no reception. Not sure if XM is better or not.

Thanks,
john
Old 03-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Default I hear XM has more satellites. But to be honest, I like sirius channel selection better. I have it..

in both my cars (S4 and Tundra). It goes out every once in a while under a bridge or if there are A LOT of trees around me. But not that bad at all.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have XM, and drive from San Jose To Palo Alto everyday..

only goes out under 1 bridge. I drive to LA often, and never has gone out at all.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:44 PM

i rarely have problems with my sirius. where's your antenna installed?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:06 PM

Default I have XM and only lose it under one bridge for 1 second.

I've driven to Tahoe from San Jose about four times and only lost signal on one trip where I thought I would hear banjos playing. My Labrador had to pee so I drove off in to the woods. Yeah, dogs love Audis. :-)
Old 03-10-2005, 10:36 PM

Default i heard it was the other way around...

either way..i'd go with sirius..better selection...
Old 03-11-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: i rarely have problems with my sirius. where's your antenna installed?

I currently have a portable Sirius receiver in my car and so I just place the antenna on my dash. That's why I'm not sure how good the reception is with Sirius. But Audi will be installing a new receiver/antenna for me so I am debating between the two.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I believe Sirius has more satellites... my 2 cents on my satellite radio...long

I have Sirius and on certain days (not necessarily cloudy, bad weather days) I have reception problems when crossing the Dumbarton Bridge from the Peninsula to the East Bay. Specifically, I've had problems after I get off the bridge in the eastbound direction.

Also, if I go under overpasses on the freeways, the reception will cut-out momentarily for about 1 second AFTER I have re-emerged from under the overpass. Keep in mind, I'm doing 75 mph, no traffic, so I spend nary a second under the overpass.

I believe there is a buffer or lag time on when you're actually out of the line-of-site of the satellite to when you actually experience the break in reception.

My Sirius was factory installed with my B6. Reception is usually good, but gets kinda spotty even when there are no trees or objects in my way!

What bothers me the most is when I go under each and every overpass say on 101 or 880, it cuts out after I have passed under the overpass.

That's the downside to satellite radio. Also, it may not be the satellite's fault, but some songs seem to have poor fidelity and sound worse than FM sometimes. No, I don't listen to oldies or old recordings. It may be the vinyl (records) these guys play at the stations, I don't know. But I jump around from station to station and sometimes I'll hear a new say top 40 song with crappy sound quality. Weird, huh?

Anyone have similar experiences?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:56 AM

sounds like you have a crappy system. mine has a 5sec buffer...so it rarely, if ever skips.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Mine has the same issue under bridges, but not all, and not always. The whole

Two bridges we have in Sacramento! HAHA!

Quick Reply: xm vs sirius reception quality