EVO crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default its ok, hopefully Darwin will weed his punk

*** out. He has proven time and time again how much of a stand up guy he is.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default just out of curiosity (and im not backing him up on this)

how do you see his hands in that video, other then when he went off.

I agree his entry into both turns were pretty rubbish, but how did you see the rest?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default heh..

funny thing is, he's tried changing his username so many times, and yet he still posts videos like these.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default first turn tells me everything I need to know

granted, it is possible that it was an anomoly - perhaps he has great hand position for the rest of the time. But judging by his behavior later in the video, I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default gotcha.

I'm just trying to learn here, don't take it the wrong way, I myself only have a few hours of track experience. What should he have done differently coming out of that first turn?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the biggest error I see...

(and note I'm not an instructor, just a schmuck with a few more hours of track time than you)

...is that he tries to "save" the car by jerking it back on track. Judging by the video, the EVO driver made the same mistake. In that situation with wheels off, you want to minimize your inputs and slowly bring the car back on track.

He's also crossing his arms - hands should stay at (9+3,10+2 - pick your favorite, differing opinions on that) while shuffling the wheel.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default from having driven that course a day before [edit]

That's the hairpin, which is a second gear corner. He looks like he was coming in hot or got on the gas too quickly out of the turn. [ed: looking at it again, he puts two wheels off and then jerks the car back on the track, which is very, very bad] Yourk - You should think of your hands and feet as being connected. As you straighten the wheel, you can get back on the gas. Fast = smooth on the track. Always want to make subtle changes whenever possible and in the words of Bruce Lee (hey, always room for a good Bruce Lee quote) Be like water.

I didn't see him on track, but when talking to a couple of other folks at the track who did on Friday, mentioned that he needed to slow down a bit and learn some more. Starting off in an underpowered car is usually the best bet. Heck my friend in a Cooper S was passing everything from Vettes, elises, a noble!, viper, and many more.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

thanks for the tips nova!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes... looks like he tracked out too far (early apex or just unwound too abruptly)...

panicked and tried to jerk the car back on track (common enough mistake) and it looks like he probably had ESP on (thank god) because his late countersteer wouldn't otherwise have saved it.

Hand position only hurt matters, made un-smooth inputs even less smooth.

He didn't listen to his instructor AT ALL.

Then the pulling over to the crash scene... that's just so incredibly lacking in common sense that I'm amazed.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Did you actually look at the video? It's painfully obvious. His had postion is awful

as is his car control and judgement

Quick Reply: EVO crash