Has anyone ever taken a personal loan to buy a used car? Bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever taken a personal loan to buy a used car? Bad idea?

Instead of depleting my funds to buy a 2nd used car (used M3 about 10yrs old) or maybe even an E46 M3....i wanted to weigh my options and see if it would be a bad idea to take out a small loan to do so. I'd rather have a small monthly for a yr a two, than have to deal w/ shelling it all out at once.

For those of you who have, where did you get a your loan thru....and at what percentage would i be looking at? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Has anyone ever taken a personal loan to buy a used car? Bad idea?

I did. Temporarily until I sold my other car at the time. Once the car was sold, I paid it off. I dont like liens so this was a good option. If its an unsecured personal loan, expect to pay a high percentage rate.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Depending on your credit. Also you may borrow half rather then the

whole amount. Keep handy cash for mods and service (-;

Banks have plenty to loan they just make it harder and you have to have good to very good credit, shop around different banks
Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Bad idea.

The interest rates on unsecured personal loans is stupid high and always has been.

If you have an empty credit card that offers 0% for 12 months on one of their convenience checks, that might be a better way to go. But read the fine print to make sure you're not going to get smacked with fees. However if you need to apply for a mortgage, your job is not stable, or anything else where you need to keep your credit rating high or you might foresee depending on that line of credit, do NOT do it. At the end of that year, if you can't pay it off in full, move the balance to another credit card. I would only suggest this to someone disciplined with money. CC companies bank on people that aren't, and the rate at the end of that year is staggering in many cases.

Used car loans can be had through credit unions for under 5%, but on a 10 year old car, you'll have a hard time finding a bank to write the loan. I think mine actually might.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bad idea...

Personal loans are unsecured so the interest rate is high as hell. Ballpark: 9 or 10% these days. That's if you can even convince a bank to approve you for any sort of unsecured credit instrument. good luck with that.
Getting a car loan directly from a bank isn't the best deal ever either. Rates are still high, in the 7-9% range. Best bet. Use the cash you have on hand. If parting with that cash will 'make or break' you...then don't buy the car...feel me?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Default yea i have ridiculously good credit...Maybe putting half of it on my CC might not be a bad idea...

since i do have the available line, but I'm worried about companies raising their rates out of left field, like what was done w/ all my Citibank cards.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Nope, and not a good idea.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Default now say for instance I were to shop for a Certified Pre-owned BMW...

I would assume they can offer financing thru BMW financial at a relatively decent rate in comparison to a personal loan?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM

Default would you happen to know what bank BMW financial uses and what the going rate is

for used vehicles?

When I purchased my CPO'd Audi thru Audi Financial (Valley National)....i had a 6% rate....considerably higher than new.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM

Default Recently was at the BMW dealer... 0.9% financing for 5 years with good credit score

..was available.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever taken a personal loan to buy a used car? Bad idea?