Has anyone here had "laser" eye surgery (or any variation) ... or know someone that has?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perfect example of why I prefer girls with poor vision,

low standards, and loose morals.

Even if they find their glasses I still have a chance.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL nice. at least one person got it.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:22 AM

Default It is rare...but it happens. Make sure you do...

...a ton of research on what kind of surgery you actually need, and DEFINITELY the doctor performing it. A good surgeon should do what Ski said and really pour over your medical history.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 AM

Default i know someone who went blind from it.

j/k.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default First hand experience and I reseached the hell out of this (long)

The surgeon is everything -- some of these places that offer $399 an eye or some nonsense like that -- your results are a crap shoot and stay away. This is not the type of thing to bargain shop.

My suregeon will refuse you as a patient if he is not "highly confident" he can produce a desired result and in fact he rejected me three times before finally operating on me.

The reason for the rejections were this -- contact lenses distort your cornea, they produce high and low spots -- they basically warp them. I wore contacts for 18 years and I had to wear glasses for 10 months before my corneas "unwarped". Once that happened, I was a good candidate.

As for the results my best corrected vision was about 20/40 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. Post surgery I am 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other.

There are two tyes of surgery:

1) Lasik is where you cornea is "opened up" and the underlying tissue is reshaped.

2) PRK doen with the Lasik laser is where the surface of your cornea is reshaped.

Depending on alot of factors one can be more suitable than the other.

As for people requiring a "touch up" procedure two things come into play:

How stable has you vision been over the last 2-3 years? If it changed dramatically, I would wait until it stabilizes

If you do need a touch up, essentially the same flap is reopened and the tissue is reshped.

My Surgeon is Dr. Eric Mandel of Mandel Vision. He is a pioneer in the field and I highly, highly recommend him.

The evaluation is free so you have nothing to lose by going there. It is also the most comprehensive eye exam you will ever recieve. They will dilate your eye, so find a ride home.<ul><li><a href="http://www.mandelvision.com/index.html">Link to mandel Vision</a></li></ul>
Old 04-16-2008, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Make an appointment with Dr. Donnenfeld, he's the guy to use in our area...

Talk to him, no one here knows as much as he does.

My dad used him for his, BTW<ul><li><a href="http://www.lasikli.com/">http://www.lasikli.com/</a></li></ul>
Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 AM

Default We all know to not fully trust the interwebz...

...but google "bad lasik" and the first 10 hits are actual websites dedicated to people with bad experiences due to lasik surgery. At least it shows you there's actual risk involved. This is truly not a, "Well my friend got it and it's wonderful and life is butterflies and puppies now...so get it done!", kind of situation. Like I said above, do lots and lots of research, and don't go for the daily special ; )
Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am in the same boat, been thinking about it for years. I think I need to just do it.

My sister did it last year and she loves it, I know so many people who did it with no regrets.

Just something a little bit scary about them using a laser on your eye.....
Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default out of all surgeries, i would've expected you to go for teh Brazilian Butt

j/k j/k!!!

seriously though, I have an Uncle that did it &gt;10 years ago and was blinded in one eye, given the technology was still in diapers and he was in his late 50's at the time.

always good to talk to a leading Dr. in the field. Good Luck.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i gots it, have some faith

nothing sadder then dating a hawt chick and you're the only one who thinks she's hawt.

I have a buddy that just got married this Sunday (i couldnt attend of course with my back)
I recall once at a club i had to pry him off this "hotty" explaining that she is a he...he still needed convincing after that, bad vision + alcohol = no no

Quick Reply: Has anyone here had "laser" eye surgery (or any variation) ... or know someone that has?