NYC Parking ticket Question:

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NYC Parking ticket Question:

I recieved a ticket for code 19, "No Standing Bus Stop," on Monday.

Here is the thing. I was parked seven feet behind where the yellow on the curb stopped! Before locking up the car, I even got out and looked to make sure I was not in the yellow.

When I returned to my car, I was surprised to see a ticket sticking out of the gap between the hood and the fender. Unforunately, I did not have any kind of camera with me to document my position.

A couple of things:

1) Any chance I can get this dismissed based upon my word that I was seven feet beyond the end of the yellow?

2) I remember some "news" piece on Fox 5 a month or so ago about "If it is missing from your ticket, you don't have to pay." I missed the piece, and now wish I had not. Anyone see it?

3) The VIN was not written on the ticket. Does that matter?

4) The body style checked was "Sedan," when in fact it is a "Coupe," or even a "Hatchback" (Coupe Quattro.)

Any suggestions on how to beat this $105 rap would be apprecitated.

Thanks,

Andreas
Old 08-20-2003, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: NYC Parking ticket Question:

1) Was anything on the ticket relevant to your car? i.e. license #? color? (it doesn't seem like this was your ticket)

2) was this your first ticket in NY?
Old 08-20-2003, 07:11 AM

Default Not sure about ur situation but I saw the fox 5 piece (not sure it the same 1)

basically they said courts are being more forgiving to officers on the tickets. For example if they wrote black for the color but it was actually a dark blue then they let that go, but if it was yellow they usually dismissed the ticket. I would assume if they but sedan and you have a hatchback they would dismiss that but if you have a coupe the ticket would probably stand.

BTW my friend is a cop in the bronx and he told me there is something key about tickets. If you have your ticket written by a cop odds are they wont show to the court date b/c it is more effort then its worth since a large portion of people pay their tickets before the court date, but if written by one of the brownies or whatever they are called now they pretty much always show up to court since their enitre job is writing tickets and making sure people pay them. So if you ticket is from a cop you have a good chance that if you fight it you may win by him just not showing up. I am not sure how to tell the difference though (i think brownies just write parking tickets which yours is prob)
Old 08-20-2003, 07:32 AM

Default Yup to both.

First ticket in NYC. First parking ticket in New York State - evar!

They did put the plate number down (interesting that are check boxes for the states NY, CT, PA, NJ, MA, FL and "other." They also listed the color. Under Year of Vehicle it says "N/S."

Hmmmm? What d' ya think?
Old 08-20-2003, 07:34 AM

Default Good information about cop vs traffic cop in showing up for court.

We'll see about the coupe vs sedan issue. I think if I go that route, I will refer to my car as a hatchback rather than a coupe.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 AM

Default Yellow paint means nothing! Where was the sign?

The city NEVER paints curbs yellow. Merchants and residential buildings paint the curbs but it has no legal impact whatsoever.

The only way you'll get out of the ticket is if you can show that the signage was either missing, unreadable or conflicting.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:40 AM

As long as they got the plate correct, you're boned.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

that's what I'm thinkin...
Old 08-20-2003, 08:04 AM

Default you will know who wrote the ticket by looking at the bottom

it will have a spot for their name usually preceded by P.O. _____ ie police officer ______
also the vin # should be on the ticket so fight it that way, but the yelow means nothing. at a bus stop you must be 40 feet behind the sign...
Old 08-20-2003, 09:32 AM

Default The sign was there, obstructed by a tree, but it exists.

The thing is, the paint mislead me to believe that by being seven feet beyond it, I was out of the bus zone.

btw, are you a Zamboni? Did you grow up in Mass. by anychance?

Quick Reply: NYC Parking ticket Question: