Open Post to AW managment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open Post to AW managment.

++++I believe this needs more than just the feedback forum.+++++

Kris and JET we can't expect you to agree openly and on line. It would go against your employer, or whoever your professional loyalties are to.

In the end, a user supported forum is simply about the free exchange of dialog: ideas, information, technical, etc.

By editing our posts because the post may mention another forum is akin to Orwell's 1984 and the Thought Police. Its the tip of the iceberg. By editing the post due to a web address, you/AW/IB/'Goliath' is admitting they are threatened by 'David'. What I find so puzzling to it all is:

If Goliath is going to edit the web address or mention of ONE SPECIFIC 'David' then they have to edit the same for all the 'Davids' we post and link to.

This simple logical statement holds true for any Mention of Fortitude (You even link to their stories), to any posters mention of Audizine, to any posters mention or linking of any Audi Forum out there. You could go further and eliminate the posting of Stoney's Links which in turn link to sites other than AW.

Think of what you are doing by perpetuating this unwritten policy.

In all fairness, AW can do what it wants, but you should put this limit of speech in the TOU for all to see.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear what you're saying Paul, but in this case, as much as I hate to admit it, I agree with IB on this one. Here's why:

Audizine and Fourtitude have always coexisted with Audiworld. They were always just the *other* Audi forums. Fourtitude honestly never presented a threat because (let's keep it real) no one is on there. The activity is minimal. VWVortex is what keeps Fourtitude alive. Audizine, on the other hand, does have the traffic and membership but it's clearly of a different caliber then Audiworld. For lack of a better word, Audizine has always been the 'immature' Audi forum. Both Audiworld and Audizine never aimed to steal members from each other, they each had their own niche.

Now, the q-world forum is a totally different story. That forum's sole existence came about as a direct rebellion to IB's decision to convert Audiworld to the vBulletin software format. Instead of giving it a chance or taking some time to adjust to the change, that new forum immediately seized the opportunity to more or less actively steal the membership of Audiworld. The members here were tricked, in my opinion, into migrating to that new site under the guise that it could be there "place of refuge". Instead, what it did was basically create yet another rift in the community. And of course, it's put some money into q-world's owner's pocket since he's now taken on advertisers. So much for an honest attempt at giving the community a familiar "hang-out". And because of that, advertisers here on Audiworld are suffering. They can't afford to advertise on every single forum out there, and since they may have already paid IB their annual advertising fee....what can they do? Suffer no sales because some immature people decided to fight the corporate giant, all because of a format change? It's childish. Not only have those people abandoned Audiworld, they abandoned the advertisers that have supported them on this forum for YEARS.

At the end of the day, that other site does nothing but harm the community. It starts with the advertisers and will trickle down to the members and everyone else across the Audi community. If I'm an advertiser who now has to pay ANOTHER couple thousand $$ to advertise yearly on yet ANOTHER site...the return on my investment from each site will decrease each time and I'll stop offering deals. I recently talked to an Audiworld advertiser who told me he has had $115 worth of sales from Audiworld last month...which is a fraction of what he typically did on a monthly basis. Now he's supposed to go pay ANOTHER fee to advertise somewhere else??? It doesn't make sense.

Personally, I think people need to grow up. vBulletin is the internet's #1 universally accepted forum software. EVERY SINGLE forum site on the net more or less uses it. You're only hurting yourselves.

As for myself, I will not join the *other* site, simply out of principle and because I want to support the vendors and advertisers here that have supported me over the years.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

When the business of merging and acquiring internet forums becomes as recognized as more traditional M&A, this will probably become a case study.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why is one tricked if they go to the "other" Audi enthusiast site?

Tricked?

I don't understand that.

Aren't members free to go where they want for their own reasons?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Okay, now I can't figure out the edit, or how to edit my above post, so I'll add to it.

The format changed and people left.

Fair reaction for those who didn't like the new format, to have, or is it?

That seems to be the debate.

-Scott
Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Cat Herder

Kris can hook you up with edit rights. ask in feedback or via PM
Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dubaudi1
Personally, I think people need to grow up. vBulletin is the internet's #1 universally accepted forum software. EVERY SINGLE forum site on the net more or less uses it. You're only hurting yourselves.
absolutely!! ok so the 'kafwk' format was simple and fun, great... so were the zack morris phones... now get with the times! Just like Dubaudi said, vB is used by every forum out there! and it gives u a feeling of having an identity, rather then your post just getting lost in a sea of random posts, one on top of the other. you have distinct separate threads, topics, posts... sections are clearly divided by topics, and are easy to search for, and find. plus u have your own account, you can upload pics, select an avatar, send Pm's, etc etc...

i say, lets jumps start this B*atch by having a big NY/NJ gtg!! weather is good, and our cars await! who is in ?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There was a market that needed to be served and QW served it. Business 101.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

^ and that is just fine. but the point is what happened to everyone else?? AW has 160,000 members, even if assuming half are no longer active, where is everyone else?? its the same few guys that talk on QW... literally only a dozen or so left, yet the impact is as if thousands marched over there
Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by paulroad
There was a market that needed to be served and QW served it. Business 101.
Well I won't support it. I'm entitled to my opinion. As I said before, I strongly believe that that site does nothing but hurt the community, and us.

If people feel that it's SUCH a big deal to conform to a new software format...then by all means, have fun over there. I'll be hanging out here.

Quick Reply: Open Post to AW managment.