Zumbach: Service Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
KDL
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zumbach: Service Problems

I recently took my '02 AR (which is still under the extended CPO warranty) into Audi of Manhattan (Zumbach) for a scheduled 40K maintenance and for an alignment. I also complained about issues with the steering (a minor vibration on tight turns at speed) and specifically asked them to check the CV boots. The moment I walked in, the service rep gave me the hard sell -- tried to get me to pay $300 to remove a minor, golf-ball size dent in a door panel, warning me that if I didn't take care of it now the paint might start cracking and then I'd need to fix and paint the whole panel. Also suggested I buy some engine additive. He also told me an alignment would be around $300. He did say that he would rotate the tires for free and take a look at the balance to see if that was responsible for the steering issue I had mentioned. He also said that a check of CV boots and joints was a standard part of the maintenance.

Anyway, my bill was just under $1200 for a scheduled maintenance plus alignment plus dent removal (haggled him down to $150), with NO PROBLEMS FOUND. They also charged me $60 for the wheel rotation. "Your car is in great shape," the man said. Best touch: without asking, they screwed in "Audi of Manhattan" license plate holders. No charge for that.

I drove home (in traffic that did not permit me to test the car), and a couple of days later set off with my family on a 250 mile drive at night to upstate New York. Within a moment of getting on the highway I realized that the steering column was literally shaking and vibrating in my hands and the newly-"aligned" car was pulling to one side. It was too late for a mechanic, so I just drove the remaining way to my destination and took the car into an independent shop the next day. Turns out, one of the CV boots had completely cracked, the grease was gone from the shaft, and the whole thing needed to be replaced. According to the mechanic, the boot must have been cracked for weeks, judging by the condition of the shaft and the absence of grease. The alignment was off, and the wheels were seriously out of balance. I got the repair work done (including $%00+ for the CV kit) and called my guy at Zumbach Audi.

When I told him about the CV joint and asked how the technician could have missed it, he said "that's impossible" and speculated that I must have damaged it by hitting a block of ice on my drive. On the other stuff, he just argued with me and then told me he needed to transfer me to his service manager. He transferred me mid-sentence, and I was deposited straight into voice mail. I have now exchanged a couple of voice messages with Audi of Manhattan, but I am bracing myself for a fight. This isn't the first time I have had issues with this dealership (including having a feeling that they didn't do any of the work they said they did and do not diligently examine cars that are under warranty).

Couple of questions:

1. Any suggestions about how to deal with this? Unfortunately the independent mechanic I used forgot to save the old cracked CV boot, but I do have a detailed invoice as well as before and after printouts for the re-alignment.

2. Do you know if I can submit the receipts from the independent mechanic to Audi so that I can collect on my warranty, or does warranty work need to be done by Audi shops only?

Sorry about the long post, but I am pretty pissed about this -- these guys took my money and sent me and my family on the road with a car that may have been less safe to drive than it was before I brought it in. I do not want to accuse them of dishonesty (as opposed to mere negligence) before I give them a chance to resolve the situation, but suffice it to say that I have serious concerns. To be fair to them, if I get a satisfactory resolution I will post accordingly.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A quick search could have saved you a lot of hassle.

NO ONE uses that dealership. They probably have the longest history of HORRID service of any dealer in the US.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you're better off taking the car across the river to Riverside Audi.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:58 AM
KDL
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: A quick search could have saved you a lot of hassle.

So I am beginning to learn. I used to use the place in Bay Ridge, because I live in Brooklyn, but I had similar concerns there too. Makes it hard to run an Audi in NYC -- not easy for me to get over to Jersey.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default in November of 06 you did ask for suggestions..

we all told you Riverside or Anchor in Lynbrook.
You told us that Zumbach sucked yet you still went to them a year later.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Lincoln Tunnel is like 1.1 mile long. How hard could that be?

No offense, but Paulroad's right.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM

not that any of us know what we're talking about here :rollseyes:
Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And Riverside drops me off at the Ferry or Bus

If you get to Riverside early, it's really no more of a hassle and in the long run you get real service.

If my car broke down in front of Zumbach I would push it to Riverside instead of letting them ever touch it again. They are useless.

Final comment -- My parking garage is on 68th, Zumbach is on 59th, and I drive to NJ for service.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yup...

I feel bad for anyone who gets bad service. But KDL is a long time but limited poster who actually asked "who to use", who said "Zumbach sucked.." and yet he still went to them.

Like you said 5speed6.. I guess none of us on the NJ/NY forum or the allroad forum know what we talk about.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Default I have a friend who used to work there as a mechanic...

...when I first got my car, his advice was NEVER to go there for service, even in an emergency.

Quick Reply: Zumbach: Service Problems