Pacific Northwest Discussion

Best all-season + snow tire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best all-season + snow tire?

When we had our little snowfall last week I discovered that the new Yokohama ES-100 tires on my 90Q absolutely suck in the snow despite my Audi having 4WD. This leaves me with two choices, either buying dedicated snow tires (Blizzak, Michelin Alpins) or finding an all-season tire that does well in the snow to replace the Yokohamas.

At this point I am leaning towards getting the all-season tires so I don't have to buy a second set of rims to only use 2-3 months out of the year. What all-season tires are people using that give good wet and dry traction while still working well enough in the snow for a trip up to the ski slopes?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few years ago we put on a winter driving clinic at Stevens Pass.

One poor fellow in a A4 quattro with "all-season" performance tires could not participate in the driving exercises...he simply could not get enough grip! He was able (slowly) to drive around, but had to get (as best he could) a "run" up the gentle slope in the parking lot we were using. My A4 quattro, with 4 winter tires, threw up four rooster-tails of snow on every launch, easily excellerating to the desired 30 mph for the exercise. The other car on "all-season" tires barely made it up the same slope.

Remember, winter in the mountains means the conditions can change very suddenly, and even good "all-season" tires may suddenly be beyond their capabilities. Quattro only helps with three of the six things we need a car to do...it does nothing for going down-hill, turning, or stopping. It's all about traction, and that starts with tires.

HTH
Old 11-27-2003, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yep...AWD doesn't mean crap without the right tire.

Four times zero still equals zero I say.

All-seasons are a nasty compromise. Not the best in the summer, not the best in the winter.

I'd go with a dedicated snow tire (specifically the Blizzak WS-50 or Nokian Hakkapaletta)

Having another set of wheels isn't that big of deal. Although, knowing you Alan it wouldn't be the only set of wheels laying around the garage. Maybe room is an issue.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:40 AM

Default I'm running Sumotomo HTR+, no complaints

they are also cheap compared to others.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Yep...AWD doesn't mean crap without the right tire.

Not just room but expense too. I already have two sets of wheels and tires for the car (summer and autocross). I plan on adding some autocross rain tires (Hoosier dirt stockers or radial rains) before March and having to buy another set of wheels and tires at $800 or so will blow my budget unfortunately, thus my hope that I can find a summer/winter compromise set and sell the ES-100s.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot A/S hands down are the best.

TireRack calls them the gold standard for all season tires.
I took a set of S-03s off and replaced them with the Michelins. I'm very impressed.
They're expensive but worth it IMO.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:42 PM

Sumitomo HRT+ Awesome in snow
Old 11-27-2003, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Here is some info from my previous post on the Wheel & Tire Forum. These tires had....

average snow traction (except as noted), which is about the best you can have for all-season tires or need for Western WA.

"The November 2003 issue of Consumer Reports (CR) listed the following tires in order based on overall performace:
1. Falken Ziex ZE 512
2. Bridgestone Turanza LS-H
3. Bridgestone Potenza RE950
4. Michelin Pilot XGT H4
5. Dunlap SP Sport A2
6. Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus

The Bridestone Potenza RE950s had a poor snow traction rating."
Old 11-27-2003, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agee: Michelin Pilot A/S are the best.

Has the combination of good dry performance and good in the snow.. They are also ZR rated. You don't have to change wheels in the winter. I had a set of Nitto 450 extremes before I got the Michelin Pilot A/S that I liked, but these are nicer....

rktskicar
Old 11-27-2003, 09:42 PM

Default Would have to buy new wheels too

Unfortunately the Pilot A/S doesn't come in a 15" size and buying new wheels too is not in the budget but thanks anyway!

Quick Reply: Best all-season + snow tire?