Pacific Northwest Discussion

Buying out of state??? PITA???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying out of state??? PITA???

Looking for an Audi for the wife. Avant or maybe an Allroad. Looking in all the usual places and want to know that if I buy out of state, what do I do after the sale? How long, where to go, etc? 15K to 18K is the most we can go.
Also has anyone ever dealt with Complete Automotive in Seattle? Thanks. I live in the Bellingham area and love these forums.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've had good experiences with Complete. I had my Rover serviced there and bought my wife's A6

there too.

Buying out of state isn't a huge PITA. I guess you may have to pass smog inspection or something.

You will also have to pay the sales tax when you register your car in WA.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Buying out of state...

Good to see another person from Bellingham on the site, just moved to the west coast. I've bought cars in other states with no problem. Just go down the the Motor Vehicles office and talk to them about it. WA seems to have very relaxed laws, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Depending on the state you buy the car in, you might have to wait a bit for a title search when registering the car or getting a new title for it. Some states have transfer titles. You'll need to contact the MV office in the state your purchasing the car in. More then likely, if your buying the car at a dealer, they can do the paper work for you.
One thing I have noticed is, used prices for Audi's seemed to be alot lower on the East Coast(NJ, NY, Conn area). There are alot of them there, probably far more then the used market will handle. Have you looked at the local dealer(in Bellingham), Roger Jobs Audi? Don't know them very well, but when I stopped by there for parts last month they seem to have alot of cars.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here is my crazy story about buying a 2003 225hp TT out of State-sight unseen-very easy..>>

I actually found the car when it was listed on E-Bay, and made a lowball bid. Then the seller, a BMW dealer in Austin, shot me a second chance offer, and we started talking on the phone. Before I knew it, we had a deal contingent on inspection.

I then contacted the Audi Dealer in Austin who checked all the service records. I asked them if they would inspect the car for me, and they turned me on to an inspection service called "Auto PI". Auto PI inspected it, e-mailed me their report, and it was on a transporter to Seattle within three days. It arrived a week later. It is also important to note that the car still had about 1.5 years and 16k miles left of the factory warranty.

I am very happy with the purchase, even including the transportation costs (about $ 1k which made my total costs before Wash tax $ 21k), I think I got the car for at least 10% - 20% less that I could get it for here. You will have to pay Washington State Sales Tax when you register the care here, but that is no different than if you buy it here.

It was a bit of a gamble, but I think it paid off!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 PM

my friend bought new cllk from other state.. save her a lot; and was easy
Old 01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bought my A6 from Roger Jobs. Pretty good experience, except for trying to get the service records. They told me it was a privacy issue. WTH?? I had to call the dealer in Michigan to get the info. It was a lease return. All is good now. The service department is OK. No loaner car, must not of spent enough, LOL. Always looking for Audi's. Wife is driving my car too much. Would be nice to have 2 in the driveway. Allroad or an Avant, allroads are too expensive for a used one. Going for a drive?? I know the area pretty good. Let me know. Have you driven Chuckanut Drive or the North Cascade Highway (summer drive) yet?? Thanks for the info.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did something similar, but I flew to OK City and inspected/bought and drove it home myself>>

It had 3,500 miles on it and I paid $8K less than KBB said it was worth.

When they wanted a deposit to hold it I told them "I will call you on thursday and if the car is still there I will fly down friday morning. I am NOT sending you a deposit" They said "OK".

I bought 2 round trip tickets for $150.ea.

They picked us up at the airport.

We made Witchita the first night and Casper on the second. Butte on the third and home before dark on the fourth.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With dealers, you can never spend enough $$$. The 01-04 A6 Avants look like pretty good buys right now, especially the latter years with the 3.0 engine. The V6 is a really durable motor with some basic maintenance.
Unfotunately, we've been really busy lately with finishing up a house so I have not been around to really see the area. Thanks for the offer. I don't know if you DIY repairs on your car, but I have the factory timing belt tools(2.8 30v) & and a VAG-Com if your ever in need, drop me an email.