Pacific Northwest Discussion

Chains required over WA mountain passes

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chains required over WA mountain passes

Did you all know this? I was on my way up to Crystal Mountain a few weekends ago and, while stopped by a police officer (who politely reminded me of the speed limit), he informed me that the new law requires all cars going over mountain passes (between November and March, I think) to carry chains.

You don't have to use them, but you have to carry them. He said he could have ticketed me for not having chains in the car, although he didn't (very cool of him).

I pointed out that I've got one kick-*** Audi A6 w/ Quattro, and snow tires on no less (Blizzak LM20's). "Doesn't matter," he said.

Shocking.

Did everyone know about this? This is a new law this year apparently. Worse, because I've got the sport suspension and 17" tires (well, the Blizzak's are 16"), I don't have much clearance for chains.

What are the recommendations that people have? Those spider things? Cables?

personally I was thinking of just buying cheap chains and never using them, although the officer indicated that he'd be within his rights to turn me around if I didn't put the chains on if conditions required it.

Kinda lame...

Anyways, what are folks' thoughts on what to do here? And am I the only one who thinks that this law is stupid considering how good a Quattro-enabled Audi + snow tires really is in the snow?

-F

'02 A6 2.7T
'01 225TTQR
Old 12-15-2003, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I carry them (cable chains) because IF you go in the ditch and

IF you have to be pulled out and IF chains were required and IF you don't have them (chains) you could be subject to a fee/fine. And I hear it's not a little one...something like $250.

IIRC the WSP has the "final" say on the "chains required" issue. They can require them despite the state definition that AWD/4x4 vehicles with "approved traction tires" normally are exempt when the "chains required" sign is on.

As I said, I have them (in the proper size) but not sure if I'd ever put them on as the owner's manual does not seem to approve of most chains. I just make sure I have'm in the car when I go into the mountains.

In over 30 years of Audi ownership I think I've only put chains on my FWD '73 100LS...and that was once. I had studded tires (my bad!) for my '85 4K. I've only used "proper" modern winter tires (not A/S m+s) since.

At one WSP "check-point" when the summit was closed down one bad winter, only "approved" cars were let thru. The officer noted my Subaru had AWD, and looked at the control lever to be sure it was "engaged"...he then let me thru without chains.

Many years ago (when I drove my Dad's '72 Audi 100LS to Crystal) my brother and I drove right past the cop checking for chains. My bro (who can imitate most any sound) made a sound like chains rattling within the wheel-well. The cop never looked at us!

Cheers,
Old 12-15-2003, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your brother must be real fun at parties
Old 12-15-2003, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Chains required over WA mountain passes

<ul><li><a href="http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/">http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/</a</li></ul>
Old 12-15-2003, 07:42 PM

Totally lame. Audi Quattro with snow tires, end of story! No chains needed.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:53 PM

get the cables...as of this post i am
Old 12-15-2003, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Oregon has always had this law

Oregon says:

A four-wheel or all-wheel drive passenger vehicle if all of the following statements are true:

a) It has an unloaded weight of 6,500 pounds or less;

b) It is operated to provide power to both the front and rear wheels;

c) It is carrying chains;

d) It has mud and snow, all-weather radial, or traction tires on all of its wheels;

e) It is not towing another vehicle;

f) It is not being operated in a manner or under conditions that cause the vehicle to loose traction.

<b> They also say that there are times when they can require chains on ALL vehicles, even AWD or 4WD, they call this a "conditional road closure".

When that happens, you know you're in for some nasty stuff!</b>

I've never encountered a time when they make 4x4's chain up and I go snowboarding at Meadows all the time.

Of course I did go up on one day when they got 18" of fresh that was coming down all day long and I saw a WRX with snow tires stuck in the parking lot because the snow got DEEP. I felt kind of bad, because I stopped to help them out, but it was the one trip where I forgot my tow strap... They were digging out snow from around their WRX with snow skis... Not having a strap or a shovel, I had to wish them good luck...

AWD and snow tires are certainly nice, but there's something to be said for "ground clearance". On that day, I left my A4 at home and brought out my lifted Jeep with 32" Mud Terrain Tires.

Audi's are wonderful and super comfy in the snow, but there are times when every one of them would get owned because of ground clearance.<b>

Moral of the story, is buy some cheap chains as insurance against getting turned around or getting a ticket.</b>

And if it really gets so bad that they're requiring chains on your Audi, go find someone else's car to thrash on and leave yours safe at home in the garage!<ul><li><a href="http://www.tripcheck.com/winter/ChainLaws.htm">http://www.tripcheck.com/winter/ChainLaws.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 12-16-2003, 01:02 AM

like that police academy dude
Old 12-16-2003, 08:15 AM

Default Thanks for the info. I travel Snoqualmie every other weekend

and did not know this.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Chains required over WA mountain passes

I grew up in Michigan, where we certainly get plenty of snow and ice, but studs are never legal there. My first car was a 84 Pontiac Fiero. Talk about a fun way to learn to drive, mid-engine, rear whl drive, stick shift, light and low. Fun.

But there are still times that I get sketch about the driving on Mt Hood, quattro, winter tires, whatever. This past Sunday night was one of those days. 4PM sees meadows and timberline end the day shift... so you have 2 mountains worth of folk coming down 26, and when it snows as much as it did sat/sun, the roads become packed to the ice stage, and traffic backs up and frequently stops. I learned that on day one, back in MI, that ice and black ice suck! And on hood you have idiots who insist on passing going downhill on the stuff, all in a late 70s blue Ford P/U or Civic or something.

To end my rant, take the chains, and you'll be able to go through anything. I have been seriously thinking about getting studs for my winter tires, for this reason alone: safety. yes it screws up the roads, but frankly, i am driving up to ride 3 days a week, and 26 is a dangerous road to drive frequently. I want to be safe, and quattro with studs is probably as safe as you get up there.

If you guys really have such good experience with Blizzaks or whatever, I want to know how they deal with ice. Downhill stopping on ice takes traction help, and I AM new to the Audi universe. Can you really get safe traction, in all conditions(when driving safely) from a studless winter tire?? I have always been leery of driving without chains in the car while it is posted that they are required, yet never have I been stopped in my 4wd vehicles.

Quick Reply: Chains required over WA mountain passes