Pacific Northwest Discussion

clutch problem..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem..

hot weather, 80 degress or so)as i was driving through a neighborhood in first gear, i went to shift to 2nd gear and my hand slipped while putting it in 2nd so i quickly dumped teh clutch, put it in 2nd and released the clutch. as i released it the clutch only came out half way, i put it into 1st gear and it still only came out half way. parked it, tried to pump the clutch but it just stayed on the floor, it had no pressure.

this has happend twice before and it happend when it was hot outside. the frist time it hapend i took it to a mechanic and by the time he got to driving it, the clutch was fine, he drove it around, soft and hard. he then took apart some parts of the clutch to see if there was any problems but he found none, put it back together drove it again and it was running perfectly fine. the 2nd time it happend, hot day, it was at my friends house, i left it there over night and the very next day i went back it was perfectly fine....

it gets me to think that when its out hot, it may create an air bubble or evaporate some of the hydrolic fluid in the hossing. i read in my manuel that it may be 1. broken release bearing or fork/ 2. hydraulic release system leaking or air in the system/ 3. over-center spring in clutch pedal assembly broken.

has this happend to anybody here? what did you do to fix this problem.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Try........

...power bleeding the clutch. Ask your mechanic if he checked the clutch slave. Do you throw any codes for vaccume leak or positive pressure deviation?

This side of a mechanical issue it sounds like you have a vacume leak.....do the brakes get sloppy when the clutch does?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Elder Member

Default hahah wow....started working again...

yeah thats a good idea on power bleeding, im thinking about doing that. the mechanic did check the clutch slave and nothing appeared to be wrong. i havnt noticed the brakes being sloppy or anything.

it was funny, i went back to whre my car was with my dad and checked to see if it worked and it didnt. popped the hood, checked to see level of the hydrolic fluid and it was ok. screwed it back on and pumped the clutch pretty hard and a lot. took the cap off and went to pump it again to see if there was any air bubbles, right when we did that it worked. so i dont know what happend, but im assuming when its hot out an air bubble may get created in the lines and just expand due to heat or something.

thanks for the support, i think ill end up bleeding the lines like you said.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bleeding the lines is a PITA, be careful you don't introduce more air into the lines.

If you need some help let me know, I have a bleeder tool.