Pacific Northwest Discussion

Hoping all you Seattle peeps can help me out.. Considering a move from Chicago to the Seattle area

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoping all you Seattle peeps can help me out.. Considering a move from Chicago to the Seattle area

Im 28, I live outside Chicago with my wife an daughter, I work as a service advisor for a Cadillac dealer(yes Cadillac) I need a change of scenary and The Seattle area has always been at the top of my list. Starting to search Careerbuilder for Jobs in the area, plan on staying in the Auto Industry, also would love to get into a speed shop of some sorts.

Few questions.... Where to look for homes? (3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 car garage $300-$400k range)doesnt have to be in Seattle, suburbs or outlying areas. Will I have to move to the middle of nowhere to get what I want for the above listed price? Does it really rain alot there? lol! How are your winters there? Anyone in the car biz on here that might be able to give me some insight on how busy the service industry is in your area? And anything to tell me whats great about your area! I really need a change! Hope you guys can help me decide!! TIA

Kevin
Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers

Im 28, I live outside Chicago with my wife an daughter, I work as a service advisor for a Cadillac dealer(yes Cadillac) I need a change scenary and The Seattle area has always been at the top of my list.

<b>Congrats on the big step there. </b>

Starting to search Careerbuilder for Jobs in the area, plan on staying in the Auto Industry, also would love to get into a speed shop of some sorts.

Few questions.... Where to look for homes? (3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 car garage $300-$400k range)doesnt have to be in Seattle, suburbs or outlying areas.

<b>You wont find anything in that price range within 100 miles of Seattle proper, unless its in a tough/ghetto part of the city or way, way out in BFE. </b>

Will I have to move to the middle of nowhere to get what I want for the above listed price?

<b>Probably unfortunately yes you may have to. Down side of that is the commute will be hell. The road infrastructure here has not kept up with the population boom so instead state and local government is trying to force people onto buses and 'light' rail. </b>

Does it really rain alot there? lol!

<b>Yes, torrents of rain. Seattle's worldwide reputation for rain derives from the fact that it is cloudy (not rainy) an average of 226 days per year. Dont expect a tan anytime.</b>

How are your winters there?

<b>What winters? Its one season. Cloudy. If it snows 1", the entire city and surrounding areas shut down and I'm not kidding either. 40mph winds knock over trees and blackouts will be for a few days</b>

Anyone in the car biz on here that might be able to give me some insight on how busy the service industry is in your area?

<b>Plenty of people on the PNW board here are in the auto industry or tied to some how. Lots of good folks.</b>

And anything to tell me whats great about your area! I really need a change! Hope you guys can help me decide!! TIA

<B>The best beer brewed in the country is in the Northwest.</b>
Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default there are perfectly fine places to live for that price

Fairwood, where cable and i live is perfectly fine, great place to raise a family with great schools.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seattle is terrible, you will hate it here. The people are extremely mean and the city smells bad

please don't add to our traffic problem. move to Portland
Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Default I was afraid about the housing market, I did a quick search on remax and was shocked on what was

available at my price range. I curently commute 40 miles round trip, would rather not go up from there. thanks for the quick response. I hate the sun and warm weather, Its the Scandanavian in me! so that will be good for me, will be a tough sell to the wife! What are some good areas to look for homes? price not being the ultimate factor but within reason?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 AM

lol
Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

white center. south park. rainier beach. burien. sodo. columbia city. renton. federal way.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Alan is trying to get you to not move here...with out coming out and saying it..

but

&gt;Few questions.... Where to look for homes? (3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 car garage $300-$400k range)doesnt have to be in Seattle, suburbs or outlying areas.

Not possible in Seattle, but there are plenty of nice places that are less than 50 miles from the city... remember though that 50miles = 1.5 hour commute in our less than stellar traffic

&gt;Will I have to move to the middle of nowhere to &gt;get what I want for the above listed price?

Nope... but you will have to look, most likely closer to that 400K mark...

Here is a link to houses from $300 to 425k within 25 miles of my parents rental which is pretty centrally located in Seattle..

http://www.johnlscott.com/propertylist.aspx?GroupID=53412407

&gt;Does it really rain alot there? lol!
The rain here is nothing like Midwestern rain... it is a drizzle most of the time...more like a fog falling from the sky a lot of the time... and yes it is overcast all of the time (except during commutes when the sun comes out and blinds everyone)

&gt;How are your winters there?

We don't have them... Like Alan said if even 1" of snow falls people freak out. I spent 2 winters in Michigan, and was amazed as I was passed while doing 70 on the freeway in a blizzard... Not going to happen here... Our cities do not have enough or the right equipment to deal with a real winter... a few years ago we had an ice storm that shut down the state for a week...

No clue on the rest...except that there are some people on this forum that are in the car biz and may be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Jeebus, why not send him to Central America.

Try Duvall (way out of Seattle, but then again the world doesn't revolve around Seattle), areas of Woodinville, Bothell, Juanita, Edmonds, etc.

And Alan, give me a break w/ the one season stuff. Live in Maryland where you have two seasons, Crock Pot and Cryogenics plant. Or Denver where you have 2 season, but it's a game of roulette! October 1st could be -20 and 3' snow, or it could be 80 and Sunny, sometimes it can be both the same day!

We have 4 proper seasons around here. Warm rain, Sunny, Cold Rain, Freezing Rain.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hear Central America is really nice this time of the year.

Pretty sure they could use a new Cadillac dealership too! Entrepreneur opportunities

Quick Reply: Hoping all you Seattle peeps can help me out.. Considering a move from Chicago to the Seattle area