Pacific Northwest Discussion

Legality of "laser jammers". . .Federal Appalent Court

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legality of "laser jammers". . .Federal Appalent Court

<ul><li><a href="http://www.kscourts.org/ca10/cases/1998/10/97-9579.htm">http://www.kscourts.org/ca10/cases/1998/10/97-9579.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 02-03-2004, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

did you read it? can you summarize for me? i'm lazy : )
Old 02-03-2004, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

From what I can tell, they are still illegal...I didn't read all of it though.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Interesting read......

....I hope RMR comes out on top...but then again having dealt with the FCC before...good luck with that!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Basically....

...the FCC is charged with statuatorily regulating RF (radio frequency) emmitting devices.

The issue here is that RMR's device does not "emit" it's own RF. Rather, it reflects a distortion of the police RF directed at it. It is a reactive device that meerly reflects an external RF and therefore should not be regulated by the FCC.

Good argument.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The ruling, basically, is for the FCC.

The questions before the court were:

-whether this court had jurisdiction (difficult to determine in cases involving a gov't agency's ruling); and

- whether the FCC's interpretation of the word "generate" would apply to a reflective device like the radar jammer (in question).

The latter question is the real test, and the Court found in favor of the FCC's interpretation:

"We conclude, therefore, that the FCC's interpretation of the term "generate" is neither "'plainly erroneous [n]or inconsistent with the regulation.'" ... The order of the FCC, released December 10, 1997, is AFFIRMED. The FCC's motion to dismiss is DENIED."

<b>Radar jammers lose; FCC wins.</b> The basis of the Court's decision is that the broader interpretation of "generate" is within the spirit and intent of the Communications Act, establishing and empowering the FCC to "...regulate and minimize interference between users of the electromagnetic spectrum..."

RMR's argument was that it's Spirit II laser jammer device merely takes the police's radar gun emissions and reflects them in a scrambled manner. It therefore does not "radiate" or "generate" RF emissions, per the letter of the Act. The claim they made to the Court was that the FCC was misinterpreting it's own regulations in calling the Spirit II a generating device. Both parts of the RMR claim were denied.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Err... not exactly.

The "reflective" claim by RMR is the basis of their argument. The Court rejected this claim, and ruled in favor of the FCC's broader interpretaion of the word "generate."
Old 02-03-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Correction guys. . . . bans RADAR JAMMERS. . . not lasser jammers. The facts are

this manurfacturers RADAR JAMMER doesn't work anyway. It appears no one has come up with one that works. Because this manurfacturer's RADAR JAMMER emits a radio frequency, it is regulated by the FCC; laser jammers do not emit radio frequencies and are therefore legal except in a few states back east where there are state laws prohibiting use.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Err...It is a play of words.....

...time to get out the dictionary. I was paraphrasing the argument as stated from the FCC and RMR.

If you look at the word generate the implied root seems to be genesis....which loosely means beginning.....can a reflective item be termed the "beginning".....not as I can interprit it....spin that in a court of law.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i get out of law class and have to read this stuff........NOT COOL : )

Quick Reply: Legality of "laser jammers". . .Federal Appalent Court