Pacific Northwest Discussion

Where to buy nice Snow/Tire Chains/Cables for large low profile tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy nice Snow/Tire Chains/Cables for large low profile tires?

Here's some info first...

I'm in PDX. I have a 06 Passat 3.6L 4 Motion Sedan. I have 235/35 19 tires on 19X9 rims. I have the Bridgeston's Potenza RE960AS Pole Position which are rated M+S. I am also lowered on H&R springs. Not much clearance for chains but cables will work.

I'm going to Idaho over Xmas break and I am going to go through the pass over the Blue Mountains by Pendleton on the I84. Apparently chains/cables are a requirement to have in your vehicle and at times required to be worn to go through the pass. What would you folks recommend (other than buying dedicated winter tires on a set of smaller wheels)? Of course I don't want something that will scratch my rims neither. Any local vendors sell a set that would work for me? I might have to buy a generic pair and return it after I get back and pray I the weather is nice/they don't make us put them on. I'll order them online being that I'll be going back during the winter. Also, I just put it on them on the front wheels and not all fours right?

Thanks in advance for any and all information!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:25 PM

2nd that, try to find some cheap 16 or 17" wheels with snows
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Got it...

I just did more research (I just got home and I can only do so much research on my work computer before it kicks me out) and found out that chains or cables will eat my suspension bits. If I had the stock wheels and tires on with my stock suspension set up I would be able too use chains/cables on my front tires only but I already sold them.

What I will do is buy chains, just so that I have them in my car so that I don't get a ticket when they do random check points. So if the pass gets so bad that they require everyone to put chains/cables (regardless on the type of tires you have) on our cars, I'll just turn around and chill out in Pendleton (WOOT!).

I'll go and do some more research but it seems like Spike Spiders may work so I'll find out about those later on. If they do I'll carry them in the trunk instead and return my Wal-Mart specials. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What if you get caught in the middle????
Old 12-19-2006, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'll call 511 and check out TripCheck.com before I even think of leaving PDX.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.tripcheck.com">Oregon Road Conditions Website</a></li></ul>
Old 12-19-2006, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd highly recommend dedicated snow tires and wheels if you're planning to do the trip more

than once. Its well worth the investment for the peace of mind.

Chains/cables will damage your suspension (since you're lowered), and could scratch your wheels too.

If the conditions are bad enough that you need the chains, and you only have M+S tires, then its probably already too late and you're stuck in the middle of the freeway without anywhere to go (or worse, you're in a ditch somewhere).

Do yourself a favor (and everyone else on the road) and get a good set of snow tires. It sure beats getting in an accident or ending up in a ditch.... the damage to the car will far outweigh the cost of the tires and wheels you could've gotten to prevent the accident.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree...

I have lived in Tok Alaska (100 miles away from the Canadian border on the Alaskan Highway/6 hours NE (in-land) from Anchorage. The roads are icy from October to the middle of May. Before that, I lived in South East Maine on Mount Desert Island where the slushy stuff comes pouring down every winter. I know exactly what you are talking about and I agree. I will be tracking down a set of some thin 17" or 18" wheels and a set of Blizzack LM 25's and switch them out every time I make the trip during the winter to prevent those regrettable times like you mentioned. But for the time being, I will wait till I get back from this upcoming trip to purchase them.

If it's bad before I leave PDX, I'll sit and wait it out. If it's bad when I return to PDX, I'll do the same even though I am a 100% sure that I have driven in much worse road conditions rather than actual weather conditions. You see, in Alaska, you have to worry about the weather, not just the roads. Because one can bet on the roads being icy, that's a given. It's the -45* weather or lower that one has to worry about. I had to drive a Government GV with rear wheel drive and all season tires from Tok to Anchorage once to pick up our new GV (equipped with 4X4) and although it took me 10 hours versus 6, I got there safely because I drove according to road conditions. Now if it was -45* or lower, I would have told my commanding officer to kiss my ***.

But it kind of puzzles me why Alaska doesn't require chains to be carried in your vehicle during the winter but Oregon does. I'm not arguing with the fact that Oregon requires it, it's just that Alaska doesn't yet Oregon does. The reason for that I'm sure is due to stupidity with drivers and for the protection of their oh so rare race . I am aware on how much better a dedicated winter tire can do versus an all season tire. In Maine, I had an 02 TDI Golf with all seasons. In Alaska, I had an 04 3.2 Quattro TT with Blizzak LM 25's during the winter and dedicated summer tires. I also know how much better a set of studded snow tires can do. All in all, flying would be way safer but I'm not about to take it that far. Snow tires are enough for me but not at this time for this trip. I'll be doing my self and you a favor though by not making the trip if the conditions are bad, regardless if their making everyone throw on their chains or not.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get some cables that fit and just carry them. AWD and M+S = chains in most states.

I carry a pair of cable chains per WA law that would fit my wheels, but have never had to put them on. In WA, AWD + M+S is the same as chains.

Bruce
Old 12-19-2006, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's the same in Cali too...

And way before the road conditions get bad enough to warrant everyone to put their chains on, the Cali State Highway Patrol closes the roads/passes. Which brand did you get and what size tires to you have anyway?

Quick Reply: Where to buy nice Snow/Tire Chains/Cables for large low profile tires?