Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

APR Stage 4 Piston Failure.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wake up man.

Just where did i exactly blame apr?
Were did i state the exact cause of failure.

I repeat, i posted a picture of a failed pistons
on what was sold to have been a APR Stage 4 Piston and Con rod.
I stated Piston had fatigued.
I also stated the original supplied piston
was incorrectly made to suit the 1.8T, and it was a piston that was made by JE to apr specs.

Then Brett from APR posted what he later deleted, a statement which i took great offence too.

So look like you are trying defend APR for what ever reasons and ties you may have with them.

So now you state about my Theory of Failure.
PLEASE SHOW MY STATED THEORY OF FAILURE!

otherwise do not talk about thing you dont know about.
Like I said I have had past dealings with apr and a series of Problems and incorrect fitting goods.
Yes i would say at the time they did try and remedy such problems, and a few issues never got resolved.
But I can accept all that, what I take great offence to is later being lied to and certain claims, statements being denied.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

laughing at what?
Old 02-01-2004, 09:21 AM

Default What's this?

Cut and pasted directly from your original post...

"These pistons were made to apr spec as far as i know. When I recieved them, there were issues i raised with apr about these pistons, especially the Fitment in cylinder 4. Well this is a picture of the piston out of cylinder number 4."

and...

"I have just recieved some new JE pistons and do look different from the apr supplied ones, with correct reliefs and clearance points. It certainly is better to deal with people with experience in engines than desk jockeys or keyboard experts."

Maybe I'm just nuts, but it sure as hell sounds like you're trying to point to the "APR spec pistons" as the cause of failure, and calling APR a bunch of "keyboard experts", even though those pistons served combat duty aboard AW's fastest A4 for several years, and the metallurgical facts don't add up.

I'm not defending APR. I know nothing of your dealings with them, and for all I know, you got the sharp end of the stick from them... Or not. All I *am* saying is that based on what you've said, coupled with and the empirical evidence and a bit of common sense, the geometry of the pistons you were using for several years, didn't grenade your motor.

Wow.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: What's this?

Well yes i stick by my posts man.
The exact cause of failure has not been determined or stated ever.
The result has been posted and stating it it was not correctly specced in the first place was my statement.
I was never happy with the pistons, they did not fit correctly and that still remains a fact.

and what metallurgical facts dont add up?

Bacause something is made from a certain material does not mean if the parts is designed
in a way, that will last forever.

Forged Pistoned engine generally requires more clearance than a cast piston setup.
Cast Pistons aregenerally lighter, expand less, generally last longer and make engine more reliable, how ever they cannot handle as much power as forged piston, so when you build a engine that generates a lot more power than stock, Pistons and rods are changed to stronger units to handle this power making this setup more reliable, but it wont match the reliability of the stock setup of stock HP. (As a General Rule), Unless the stock engine has some designs flaw by some clever engineer.
The has been a history of engines being designed, and later revised to improve or fix previous problems.
The biggest joke at the moement is the Chev LS1 engines that are being fitted to cars here, there are thousands of engines being rebuilt or repaced by the Car Supplier here.
Problems like oil pick incorrect, Piston Slap and engine noisy. etc.

eg http://au.geocities.com/commodoretech/vtoil.html
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2811&st=0

Mate nothing lasts for ever, stressing engines to max power is always going to reduce reliability, but it does not help when parts in the first place don't fit or work properly.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Ugh. Sorry to hear that. :(

Lucas,

Your a fool for installing a piston you knew was defective or didnt fit to begin with..

If you knew better, why did you install it? Don't blame APR your engine couldnt cope with constant years of aggressive tuning...

I don't know a single person who would be serious about their engine building to install a piston that was on inspection 'not right'

Perhaps this is APR's way of paying you back for being such a constant ******

Now stop crying
Old 02-06-2004, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Ugh. Sorry to hear that. :(

Nice to know APR pay people back after spending money with them.

But Mr Keen no need to call people names, and its obvious you haven't read the whole post.