Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

FMIC under $800

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default but it's two small angle bends vs. two large angle bends...

I'm sure the vanes help a lot, but I would think the air velocity would slow a bit after making 2 90 degree bends. If the air velocity slows (as you state), doesn't this create backpressure?

I said absolutely nothing about flow resistence. I simply said test both, and they will more than likely offer the same power. I don't think our cars flow enough air to take advantage of APR's design. Maybe if we had huge turbos pushing 25+ psi of boost you might see a small difference.
Old 08-26-2001, 02:27 PM
Elder Member

Default oh

Okay, I see what you meant about the measuring thing now.

No, slowing doesn't automatically increase backpressure. Its a volume thing. As I said, it's like a stream. A stream may run fast when it is narrow over little rapids, but when it gets narrow and deep it slows down. That doesn't mean the same amount of water isn't flowing in each area, just that the larger cross section of the stream bed in one area means the water flows slower to produce the same throughput.

Apply all this to an intercooler or exhaust pipe and the air flows slower in areas where the cross section is larger. But that doesn't mean the backpressure is higher as the air isn't slowing due to any restriction, but instead due to a larger area to flow within. At least, that's how its supposed to work.

In Corky's book, he shows a intercooler that is very similar to APRs (by Sparco) and sez this is the way to design an intercooler. However, the Sparco has the exit ports both on the same side, so I guess that's okay if you have good baffles. He also shows an end tank the same shape as the right hand side of the one pictured above and says that is a good design. However, the only "good" ones that would call practical that how shows have side exits like the APR.

He says that you don't want to turn the air a lot, or force it around sharp corners. But half the ones he recommends have end exits. He never explains why those 90 degree turns are okay. Perhaps its because all the air runs one direction, and it kind of pulls the air into the flow? I dunno. Perhaps Corky should expound upon that if he has a second edition.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:57 AM

Default Thx for the response....

I have to pick up that book sometime, seems like too much good info to pass up.

Hopefully APRs piece will be under $1k!

Cheers!

Michael