Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

I saw a disturbing post on corner carvers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I read up, and what I found..

..was that someone wanted information and decided to organize it in a logical manner. Then he got lambasted for it, simply because he had a lot of questions, and elected not to point out in advance that he had already searched the archives as best he could before posting (which I don't believe should be necessary, but so be it).

I hope you gave this stranger fair warning before you sent them here.

Paul
Old 06-23-2001, 09:31 AM
Elder Member

Default what's efficient about it?

If everyone did it, then the boards would roll 5 times faster and everyone would have to view the last 4 pages every day to see what is new.

Posting everything separately is not efficient.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:51 AM

Default Logical separation of issues into separate threads.

You're telling me you think it's more efficient to post questions about intercoolers in the same thread as questions about dyno tests of various exhaust setups? Please tell me you don't really believe that mushing everything into one post would have resulted in thorough discussion of each category.

If this board rolled 5 times faster, perhaps the bottom posts on page one would be less than a week old (check it, it's 8 days old) and what a crime that would be, eh?
Old 06-23-2001, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some guys are painting a lot of us with a pretty wide brush...

I'm pissed off with the generalizations.
Old 06-23-2001, 11:38 AM
Elder Member

Default illogical separation of issues into separate threads

Part of the problem is you are a newbie and you don't really have any idea what would be a good idea or cost effective to do. So you post 8 threads asking about different things.

More logical would be "Hey, I'm gonna mod my car, where should I spend my first $2000?" Then we don't need to waste threads discussing things you aren't even going to do.

Look at how everyone else does it. It works well. Fit in.
Old 06-23-2001, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bud, it would still move half as fast as the S4 forum.

Besides the only "performance" questions in here are whether or not to turn the ESP off at the track. Give me a break, this isn't a performance page, this is an ego page for middle aged men to talk about how fast their weak *** sedans are.
Old 06-23-2001, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hate to say it, but you make a good point:

"Don't ask questions in the performance page, because you're gonna get jerked around by a bunch of conforming car waxers."

Let me give you a little poem about "fitting in", also known as conformity. Actually Panoz marketing firm wrote it.

"I have seen the enemy and he is conformity. He is conventionality. He is everything that represents mediocrity and a desire to fit in. And he better PRAY that he NEVER finds himself next to me at a stoplight."
Old 06-23-2001, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what can I say...

Since I don't know you personally, I can't say that you were part of the problem, but then again, and can't say that you weren't. Since you got pissed off, I'd be willing to bet you're part of the big problem, but not this one.
Old 06-23-2001, 01:13 PM

Default Re: illogical separation of issues into separate threads

I can see where you're coming from, but I dunno if I agree that Chip's way of doing it is inefficient. I see it as apples to oranges.

While a combined thread may make for a more efficient use of time when reading and replying to responses, and more efficient use of *space* when browsing through pages of threads; it does not necessarily make for efficient generation and retrieval of useful information.

To me, both formats are equally useful. Chip's may be less common here, but that all by itself doesn't make it wrong. Sure, someone who wants to mod and doesn't really know where to start may find the combined thread more useful. But someone who already has an idea of what they want to do, or wants to see what is involved with various mods before making up their mind which one they want to do first, is most likely going to find Chip's method more useful.

I do happen to think that limiting the subject matter promotes better discussion (more information, and with a better signal-to-noise ratio), but as with what I have written above, that is only my opinion.

Paul
Old 06-23-2001, 01:52 PM

Default This is exactly

the way I felt. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't insane to think this.

Quick Reply: I saw a disturbing post on corner carvers