Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

if i change my turbo what else do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if i change my turbo what else do i need?

if i change the stock turbo on my stock 00' audi a4 1.8t what other mods should i do??? by the way it could be a garrett GT3076R or smaller model but at least 300hp. whats a necessity ti change???
Old 03-09-2005, 05:21 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if you dont know the answer then you shouldnt do it

no offense but you need to do some research and search/read the forums for awhile
Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: eh dont feed the kid ****.... more.

don't be telling someone how they gotta read the forum to learn, it's a good tool but not something everyone should relate to everyday change or whatever, because then they can be misled and fire off something bad in their engine and fail to keep their car safe or something. i don't mean to be a dick but i'm just offering my expression.

btw, i think you need some oil lines a gasket or two and probably need bolts for the structure but don't know personally i haven't found 5g's in my pocket to spend on such a kickass addition to my car. we'll see if alls good by summer who knows i might have one in my car.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Couldn't disagree more.

If he asking about a gt3076 and only plans on making 300hp then he needs to do ALOT more research. Unless you know the information that you will learn from the research you will surely blow your motor, or never get it running in the first place. Also it would cost more than 5g's. heres a little list of what you'll need and im sure im forgetting things:
turbo
gaskets and hw
software
injectors
fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
fuel pressure gauge
oil lines and fittings
coolant lines and fittings
maf housing
some sort of tip
boost controller
bypass valve
exhaust manifold
downpipe
2.5/3" exhaust
clutch
fmic or equivalent

and many other things which yo'll need along the way.
I did alot of research for about 3 months and I have a fairly common set-up
Old 03-10-2005, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Exactly right
Old 03-10-2005, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-10-2005, 06:07 PM

Default ok you can be the one to console him when he blows his motor from not knowing what the hell he is

you know what he will do too. he will blame it on the fact that its an audi somehow... i wholeheartedly agree with tom and WJM. we all have BT setups and have done extensive research, my car isnt the first turbo car i have built and i know WJM knows his stuff along with tom (even though his car ****s fire :-P). i would say that if he doesnt search the forum he should at least have someone hold his hand through the process. turbo upgrades that arent tuned properly can get messy fast. i have been helping this guy recently who has just a simple k04 upgrade. his 02 voltages are .70's at WOT because he didnt know that he had to get a 5 bar FPR. the EGT levels that produces will grenade a turbo really fast, with a bigger turbo a whole engine.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:10 PM

Default its right here in your sig: "The ignorant should not modify"

and to rccthitman i am not knocking you at all i am simply telling you what the others are.... there is alot more to owning a car with an upgraded turbo then just knowing what parts to buy and how to install it. that is just the beginning. once you get it running you need to know how to keep it that way. take your time with this and so some more research.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: ok you can be the one to console him when he blows his motor from not knowing what the hell he i

first of all i dont ask more than to know everything i can about my car. but since its my first car ever and sinced im european i tought id rather support my origins id go for a euro car and i chose the audi cause its a really nice car. but when a person like me wakes up every morning at 6am to go to school then after that go to work until midnight and do the same things 5 days in a row i hardly find free time for myself and im only 18!! i think and i know i still have a lot to learn so dont hate because im sure you went through the same ****. not hating or insulting anyone but if any lives around miami and has free time on week-ends to show a rookie how it works then im willing to learn. i dont want to blow my engine i just want to kick those nasty hondas and mitsubishis out of the road!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 02:22 AM

Default calm down there killer.

i was in no way trying to insult your intelligence... i was saying that perhaps you shouldnt jump into a BT setup... i am glad to hear you are willing to learn. i myself am only 22 years old but have had the A4 since i was 18. i had the car for 3 years before i went big turbo....

however this was not my first turbo car that i built. i have done anything from simple turbo upgrades on subarus to entire race engines for 300zx's. all of this before i even touched my audi. we are just trying to give you some fair words of warning before you get yourself knee deep in **** as it doesnt seem like you have that much experience with turbo cars. i am glad to hear that you want to learn and i strongly earn you to do so. i wasnt trying to offend you and i understand that it is difficult to judge intent through simple words on a computer screen.

Quick Reply: if i change my turbo what else do i need?