Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Maxed out MAF...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am talking dumpvalve/BPV... I have internal wastegate. I have changed ... ->

to expensive NKG plugs. Colder than OEM.
Also tried some bosch FD5POR special platin plugs, also expensive, but they did not run as good.

I believe the atmosphere dumpvalve and rich mixture otherwise leads to my "afterburners"

some less fuel wont harm me I believe. I might even get some less drawback on timings as o2 wont run as rich...
Old 03-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Elder Member

Default Copper plugs.

BTW what wide band are you using?

If your car is pulling timing back during WOT then your not going to be able to lean it out since that will just cause the ecu to pull more timing. First off you need to see what the AFR is during WOT.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:46 AM

Default Using a LM1 ...

So the car wont pull timing if running rich?
Only when running lean?

I find it hard to believe its running lean @3.5k rpm. With a 3" MAF that should increase flow about 60% but 440cc's @ 4bar is a ~100% increase.

Ill do some logs both from the wideband and the vagcom as soon as I have some extra time...

@WOT when running from standstill, through gears, I keep a RPM that high that it never gets to pull timing... Runs well this way...

BTW. 291whp isnt too bad on a gt25 turbo, is it?
I believe this is a apr s3-turbo...

Jamez
Old 03-07-2004, 07:16 AM

Default Think maybe I shouldnt be running an atmosphere dump? The bosch 710N, is this good enough right?

But no BOV sound with those, right?

Also, I have it reloacated before the TB.

Jamez.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My bpv is right before the tb too, I've got a pipe runnning across the front of the engine.....

lemme see if I can find a pic. Well there's one on my stalker photo page.....

running a bpv setup over a bov will help you, definitely. It'll lessen the richness you have...<ul><li><a href="http://www.capitalaudi.com/gallery/album57">stalker page</a></li></ul>
Old 03-07-2004, 10:22 AM

Default Yea, seen that pic. That way I was thinking... I made->

I made a connection on the intake-side of the turbo already, just in case.

Well I got the oildamp connected there, but gonna get a catchcan or separator. Or my hoses gonna get filled with oil...

What kind of BPV are you using?
A bosch one?
Im thinking of trying a 710N mounted the "wrong way"...? If I rip a few diaphragms Ill consider something else...
Old 03-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo XS adjustable bpv, with about $0.10 in pennies stacked under the spring ;-)
Old 03-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Elder Member

Default I had that one and had delay issues with it

found the Evo motorsport valve to be much better with a very high pitch sound when I let off.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:09 PM

Default OK!! new loggings and I now know what my issues are! running LEAN and RICH... more->

I am running lean @ WOT and low rpm... about 16.5AFR at 3500rpm, so it pulls that much timing that boost drops. First it climbs to 1bar, then timing gets pulled so much it drops to 0.6bar... And it keeps wrong AFR all the way to the top with bad timings...
This have to be dangerous.
Well, at least exhaust gets hot this way, so probably detonation-danger...!

Also, at high rpm my problems are the other way. Running rich above 5k rpm.
Afterall, my chip is made for K03... Wouldnt expect perfect result...

So I went driving with my local tuner-guy. We are a few audi-freaks nearby, but mostly 2.2 5cyl turbo-guys, and some even worse stuff...
well, He thought I really should get it remapped. He could mapp it from scratch.
He has this emulator that he connects to the motronic and get a realtime tracing on where in the map car is, load and rpm-specific rows, and he just adds the right injection times realtime.
Then he finally burnes a chip for it.
I could make chips both for racefuel and standard if I want.
But I guess I should stay below 1.4bar boost and pumpgas too keep power below dangerous levels for my engine. Stock rods dont like 400hp++
he got visual 3D timing maps... really great equipment.
He did a car a few weeks ago. In 2-3hours they had a perfect map. (An 1.8T with K24 turbo, estimated @~280 hp)

what do you think? remap ASAP

BTW. If AFR and timings are good, he said using an atmosphere dump would be no problem at all, but he thought maybe I would get faster response with a BPV when shifting??

Well, its bedtime for me on the other side of the atlantic
Old 03-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Elder Member

Default Yes you need to remap because the larger maf show the wrong loads

for a K03 chip that is tuned for loads from a stock maf housing.

Dumping the pressure gets you nothing but sound, just think of all that extra air your lossing that you could be making power with after you get back into it.

Quick Reply: Maxed out MAF...