Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Maxed out MAF...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You can't just drop in a 3" MAF and 440 injectors on a K03 chip.....

unless you've an A/F controller.

On overly rich condition can cause lean readings on the O2 sensor.

Do you have a VAG-COM? What are the fuel trims like?
Old 03-08-2004, 04:41 AM

Default the pipe you have from your BPV back to the intake? is it 25mm/1" ? Would a 1" alupipe flow enough?

Does turbo spin long between shifts in your case...

Just ordered a bosch 710N to try... Got it for only 45$ brand new... Worth a try isnt it
Old 03-08-2004, 05:11 AM
Elder Member

Default I sure hope 1" is enough because that is the size of the stock return hose

and the size hose that fits to the BPV and intake tube.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:17 AM

Default But when mounted before the TB two things change. Air is cooled and more dense,but the 1" hose ->

is much longer.
Long hoses gives much more resistance than small.

Also, the small short one is ment for the K03 working at 0.5bar boost...

A big BB turbo flows alot more air!!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok, my turn.

Agreed with John, if you had an air/fuel controller, you could manipulate the fuel curve somewhat. Although, I have one, and it still goes wide open injector pulse way too early. I think the best answer is a change in programming, and you might also want to look into an adjustable fpr if you haven't already.

Agreed with Mike, a bov is only good for intimidation. BPV is much more functional, and draws less attention(sometimes that's better!). Plus, letting air out of the metered system will only make it harder to tune properly(BOV or open wastegate dump tube).

I think your biggest problem though is that you have a K03 program in your ecu. it's freaking out & pulling boost & timing in the hopes of achieving it's programed/learned parameters, which are all out of wack from a big turbo/gas pump sized fuel injectors, and a MAF that's 2x as big. What do you have controlling boost, the N75 valve? I'd recommend some kind of mbc. You're gonna want a program that'll let you run up to 1.3 bar of boost, for starters, to tune it.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:26 PM

Default some questions...

You seem to have a setup much like mine. And Its working out pretty well for you?

I have to decide wheter to tune my car now, with the injectors I have (440s?) and the 3" maf, or if I should run larger MAF and larger injectors...

As far as timing and AFR is ok while MAF is maxed out, it shouldnt be a problem,
but what consearn me more right now is if I can deliver enough fuel for around 4000rpm?

You seem to keep a rich condition for midrevs.
But injectors run at MAX even at 3000rpm in high gears. This is what I see also. Max is 21.68ms right? seem to be on my vagcom atleast.
I dont know if this will be enough fuel in the 3-4500rpm range??

What are AFR on in your case when MAF and injectorpulse max out? @about 4500rpm?

Do you have full boost at, say 3400rpm? In high gears at this rpm, do you get enough fuel?

Since Im running stock internals I might just tune it as far as I can with this MAF-housing and injectors, and rather try to be satisfied.
Like you say, a 3.5" MAF-housing or a custom 3.25" would probably been perfect...

BTW. Im not really 100% sure what my injectors are. I was told they were 440cc, but later I was told that the guy who sold them wasnt really sure. He said they were APR injectors that came with a stage 3, and that they probably were TT225 injectors that were modified? Seems about right?
Old 03-08-2004, 02:35 PM

Default you just answered some of the questions I asked for you below ->

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/63378.phtml">I wrote this while you posted yours</a>

When I have this great possibilities to remap an AF-controller is not the way to go for me!

And as far as BOV goes Ive ordered a 710N now so Im going back to BPV.
With it mounted before the TB its easy to put in a BOV if wanted, but the truth is Im really not sure anymore that I want that much attension. Im already "famous" in the city, much because of this and some nice flames from the exhaust...

The K03 program have to go!!

And I am using a MBC. But I think its making fusses on me, but Im not really sure since pulling timing also drops boost.
Anyways, It never closes the WG fully, so I just ordered a profec B spec1 from japan. 260$ shipped. It'll probably give much better spool...

I do not have an adjustable FPR. But I probably should get either that or bigger injectors. Read my other post...
Old 03-08-2004, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default max injection time on a nonDBW car is 16.32ms....

if you have DBW, then it's a lot more.

440s are probably maxed out by 350HP, at least for nonDBW, DBW seem to be able to run more power.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default Well, that K03 software will probably save that 710N......

but when you get the right stuff, it'll chew up that rubber diaphragm &amp; spit it out the tailpipe ;-)

Sorry, I'm a busy guy. Don't have as much time to surf the forums as I'd like.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Banned

Default The pipe is a 1" I believe, and it's plenty. Here's why.....

and I believe it was Mike that's pointed it out before......

Due to the fact that it's connected to the intake side of the turbo, there's vacuum present in the pipe. So, when the bpv opens, in addition to the charged air in the pressure side looking for a place to go, there's vacuum present to pull it through! Make sense?

During my shifts, I go slow, for a couple reasons. It's better for the trans, and if I shift quick, the fuel trim goes rich &amp; stutters. I can do a nice calm shift, and get into it when I let the clutch out there's boost right away. I'd contemplated installing the bpv in reverse, but haven't tried it yet.

Quick Reply: Maxed out MAF...