Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

New Car Ideas....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Ideas....

Well since i'm alone and bored here at school, i'm wondering about what i should do for my next ride. The a4's back home, basically sitting 'cept for when my parents drive it. It got abused my my sis this summer, and i am planning on getting rid of it eventually.

I go to USMA at West Point for those who understand what it means. I dont get to have a car here for 2 years. When you get into your junior year, you get what's called a "cow loan" (the juniors are known as cows). It's basically 30 grand at next to 0 interest, and can be used for a multitude of things. Seeing as how cars are one of the more popular items to spend this money on, and cars happen to be a passion of mine, so that's gonna top the list when i'm figuring what to spend on.

I love my A4. Save for the maitenance issues i've had with it and the lack of power, it's very fun to drive, i love the looks and everything i can do with it. I've got a fair amount of mods as you can see below, and while i still plan on modding future cars, i wan't something a lot better stock.

While i have a broad taste in cars, i am Euro/American oriented. that being said, i like many things arriving from the far east lately. My main considerations have been the first gen S4 or E43/46 M3, maybe earlier depending on depreciation. I've also been considering early C5 vettes and other fun rides, like a 350z or WRX, with old muscle being a long shot.

I want something powerful, sporty, still somewhat all-weather capable, and classy too. Yea, i know it's a list, but i've got time to think, so why not? I'd appreciate some input from y'all and suggestions about other possibilities. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Elder Member

CusTTom

Default 30 grand at next to 0% interest sounds like a better idea to stick the money in the market...

and turn it into more money. Then when you graduate, though you'll be driving the same old A4, you can afford a house.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:36 PM

Default how does 30g invested for a year get me a house?

and a house isn't gonna be on the list... army moves me around, and i dont exactly plan on a big family too soon. thanks for the idea though... at least i got a response!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Elder Member

CusTTom

Default 30g's is a very nice downpayment to have on one...

Didn't know that you wouldn't be stationed somewhere for an extended period.

I'd say skip the car still, especially if you get relocated internationally... you might be screwed.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default typically a house value doubles in 7 years

buy a house man. You will be into a much nicer car in a few years.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Buying a house is not a good idea for everyone.

Especially someone who will be moving alot, LIKE THIS GUY!

You suggest selling and buying a new house everytime he is forced to move? That will eat up any profits VERY quickly.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you had a 0% loan and a year, you don't think it would be worth it?

I agree though, if he's going to be moving around, he's not going to really be able top cash in.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Elder Member

CusTTom

Default I'd keep the 30 grand in the market.. or even in a safe investment like municpal bonds or something

even a money market account, as long as the interest rate outpaced the borrowing rate.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:39 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default That's very, very untypical. It can be said only in hot locations during specific times...

...from the early '80's to the mid '90's, many homes probably lost half of their value. If rates rise more than a couple points in the near future, watch for falling home prices again.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:44 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default From someone who is still paying for his student loan debt at next to 0% interest...

...I am sick of it. My advice is to not spend the money on anything. Investing it should be all you do with it. If I had spent less money in college, I could have borrowed a lot less, and that means my burdensome student loan repayments right now would be less burdensome. I'm 32 and I'm sick of making student loan payments, and I've still got 3 years til they're paid off.

Quick Reply: New Car Ideas....