Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Stealth Mission: WORX A4 gets Custom Garrett Software - BAM! Explosive Power!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth Mission: WORX A4 gets Custom Garrett Software - BAM! Explosive Power!

Today at just a little after 7pm Lucas (A.K.A LucasG Chips & Fastest Aussie Audi)and I loaded some custom written Garrett GIAC software for my car.....

Just before I dive into the results and get ahead of myself... some history first....

With my current modifications my Audi has never been running better than it was before 7pm tonight. It was running smoother, with more power than ever before (in fact the two club members who I took for drives last week were staggered at the power and smoothness!)- the PWR FMIC proving refrigerator style cooling for the engine being the primary factor. In fact, i was VERY happy with the way my car was performing and was more than a little nervous about dicking with it when it was running so well. I needn't have been..... Misguied fear is indeed the worst type as I was in for more than a pleasent surprise.

The new software started life as a standard GIAC 1.1bar chip, which Garret tuned and then optimised to suit my additional modifications of the PWR Front Mount Intercooler and exhaust system. A copy of my recent dyno graph (done by A.V.O - 113 KW at the wheels) was provided to Garrett who then optimised my boost and timing to suit the car - The result...........

BAM! Explosive Power! In fact, I nearly stacked the car on the test drive as I managed to slide the car sideways round a sweeper in the dry (admitedley rather off camber). But WOW! Thats something I have never managed to do before - EVER. I am going to definatly go very easy in the wet!

Acceleration is extremley linear all the way to red line - boost holds and doesnt drop off until well into the red zone. Simply AWESOME. : Power is abundant - and I mean ABUNDANT.

Fifth gear's pulling ability is staggering - no need to drop it back to fourth on the FWY - just plant the foot in fifth doing 100kmp/h and it pulls VERY VERY HARD.

Not only is my car now neck snapping in its acceleration - but its running smoother and even better than it was before! Something I was unsure was likely to happen - but it did. The car should come from the factory like this! I assume this is due to the individual optimisation of the software to my car.

Of course, the challenge is now out - if any other tuner out there has a KO3 1.8 Audi and wants to test their mettle against my Garrett creation - bring it on! :-)

Another trip to the Dyno will be taking place in the next few weeks - for no other reason than to post an after graph - followed by a trip to the strip to lay down a smoking quarter

Unfortunately for me I am now most definately at the very end of the KO3's limits - any more power will have to come from a bigger huffer - that will come...but for now I am completley wrapped in my cars performance and driveability.

I want to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude to both Garrett and Lucas for taking the time to write custom software for my car. This was a call above and beyond the normal duty - and one for which I am very very appreciative.

Garrett I owe you at least a slab when you are next Down Under :-)
Lucas, chalk me up on the big board for that cheap plasma you want :-)

Thanx Guys.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:28 AM

"Explosive Power" from a K03... Heh
Old 01-14-2004, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Custom Garrett Software

Mr. Lim has free time to do one off, K03 custom chips for a guy in AUS? Glad to hear it, maybe he can play with some programs for DBW/K04 applications in the U.S. next. Mine runs fine but there is probably some additional timing advance to grab, A/F isn't a problem. It would be interesting to see some before/after logs on your timing advance, that's probably where the extra power was found. Your next mod should probably be a neck brace to prevent long term damage.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good read...nice!
Old 01-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Rest In Peace

It's all relative I guess.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Relative to a Yugo maybe
Old 01-14-2004, 10:14 AM

Default what did you expect?

Thats why home tuning (when knowledgable) is better. You are able to generate timing graphs and a/f graphs to each specific car. You can't go to the extremes on an "all around - one size fits all" chip.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Rest In Peace

;-)
Old 01-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Elder Member

Default It is called tq

But I guess you would have needed to be at dubwars in 2001 to actually see a K03 put down more tq then a stage 3 on a dyno. Oh and both were running on the exact same race fuel which was sunoco 104 octane. Funny thing is that was not even my fastest K03 chip that was tested vs the stage 3 that day.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:08 PM

I understand now... high torque + low hp = "Explosive Power!"

Quick Reply: Stealth Mission: WORX A4 gets Custom Garrett Software - BAM! Explosive Power!