Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Cleaning armor all out of leather?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning armor all out of leather?

Good morning,

I made the mistake of using an armoll all wipe to clean my back seat and now there is a dark greasy residue left over (I don't know what I was thinking)

Can one recommend a product to clean the armoll all out of the leather? (I have black leather seats/Q3)

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-18-2021, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Chamberlain's #2 Formula Leather Cleaner:

https://leathermilk.com/automotive-leather-care/

I follow-up with #4 Leather Conditioner to protect the leather after it's been stripped of contaminants by the #2 formula.

Old 10-18-2021, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I would just use a clean damp cotton / micro fiber towel. The Q3's "leather" seats have quite a bit of vinyl and the parts that are leather, well, let's just say it isn't a high quality leather. So, no need for a complex cleaning.
The following 2 users liked this post by TurboBlue5150:
findalex (10-19-2021), FlatsCatFL (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

I believe armor all is water-based so the damp towel advice would probably work well.

And +1 on the quality of the leather. Most entry-level luxury leather seats, especially on surface areas that get a lot contact/rubbing, are treated with a plastic/vinyl top coat. So you're really sitting on a thin layer of plastic on top of non-top-shelf leather. Armor all won't really do that much harm.

I believe this is the reason why BMW and Mercedes have been using "synthetic" leather on their entry level cars for many years now. I was in a focus group and almost 100% of the people had no idea. In fact, most people prefered the fake leather seats on the Mercedes C-class over the real leather in the Infinity or Audi.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by findalex
I believe armor all is water-based so the damp towel advice would probably work well.

And +1 on the quality of the leather. Most entry-level luxury leather seats, especially on surface areas that get a lot contact/rubbing, are treated with a plastic/vinyl top coat. So you're really sitting on a thin layer of plastic on top of non-top-shelf leather. Armor all won't really do that much harm.

I believe this is the reason why BMW and Mercedes have been using "synthetic" leather on their entry level cars for many years now. I was in a focus group and almost 100% of the people had no idea. In fact, most people prefered the fake leather seats on the Mercedes C-class over the real leather in the Infinity or Audi.
I've owned a number of American, Japanese & Euro cars/trucks over the last 30 years & vast majority of time I'd give a head nod to the MB-Tex etc (fake leather). Oddly enough, you guys are bagging on the lower end leather in cars like these Audis but my experience around it for a good 20 years in hot desert climates has been the best outta all the brands stuff I've owned (or been around via folks I work with & such).