Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 10:25 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

2014 Q5 acceleration failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 acceleration failure

I have had several incidents now where I want to accelerate quickly to merge into traffic but the car shuts down once I press the pedal to the metal. When I ease up it then comes to life. The dealership has not been able to come up with a solution or identify the problem. I would appreciate any insight on this issue. Hopefully it can be resolved before I end up in an accident!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I forgot to mention this is gas 2L turbo!
Old 02-24-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowerhand
I forgot to mention this is gas 2L turbo!
What exactly do you mean by shut down? And how long after you start easing off before the power kicks in?
Old 02-24-2016, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Me too!

Originally Posted by will822
What exactly do you mean by shut down? And how long after you start easing off before the power kicks in?
Had the same thing on my 2016 TDI. I can do it on demand now. Dealer could not. Solution they said was simple, after 3 days in the shop, it was determined. that if you so much as brushed the brake pedal it will die!

So far this seems to be true in my case, perhaps yours too. If you have big feet like me try and make sure it's properly lined up and pressed against the right side of tranny tunnel.

If you find out anything else let me know. I think it's dangerous, and told Audi so. Especially if trying to pass! Never had a car like this!

Cheers
Old 02-24-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a similar problem three times when my car was new. In each case, I was at a "T" or "U" with the steering wheel locked hard over, waiting for a break in the traffic so I could take off hard and come up to speed fast. And the car whimpered and didn't go.

I tried making sure I wasn't hitting the gas and brake. Confirmed that. Also confirmed, by two-footing the pedals, that hitting the brake while hitting the gas doesn't do anything, you still get normal acceleration.

This year I got a sneaky suspicion. I found out that the ESC system invisibly kicks in and cuts back the throttle if the wheel is hard over and the car thinks it may get tippy. So my suspicion is, that if your steering wheel is hard over (as mine was) the ESC system may incorrectly prevent acceleration, even if that is in fact endangering you by leaving you powerless and broadside to oncoming traffic.

I reported the incidents to the NHTSA and got no action or response, but I suggest you do the same.

And, was your steering wheel hard over? Can you try replicating the problem--but with the ESC system TURNED OFF ?

I know it wasn't my feet, or the pedals, or my imagination. There's something wrong about what the "man behind the curtain" sometimes is doing.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After starting to pull out into traffic I floored the accelerator & the engine went completely quiet for about a second. I had to pull off sharply to the left side of the road to avoid being broadsided!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
Had the same thing on my 2016 TDI. I can do it on demand now. Dealer could not. Solution they said was simple, after 3 days in the shop, it was determined. that if you so much as brushed the brake pedal it will die!

So far this seems to be true in my case, perhaps yours too. If you have big feet like me try and make sure it's properly lined up and pressed against the right side of tranny tunnel.

If you find out anything else let me know. I think it's dangerous, and told Audi so. Especially if trying to pass! Never had a car like this!

Cheers
Thank you, I will try that.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Redd
I had a similar problem three times when my car was new. In each case, I was at a "T" or "U" with the steering wheel locked hard over, waiting for a break in the traffic so I could take off hard and come up to speed fast. And the car whimpered and didn't go.

I tried making sure I wasn't hitting the gas and brake. Confirmed that. Also confirmed, by two-footing the pedals, that hitting the brake while hitting the gas doesn't do anything, you still get normal acceleration.

This year I got a sneaky suspicion. I found out that the ESC system invisibly kicks in and cuts back the throttle if the wheel is hard over and the car thinks it may get tippy. So my suspicion is, that if your steering wheel is hard over (as mine was) the ESC system may incorrectly prevent acceleration, even if that is in fact endangering you by leaving you powerless and broadside to oncoming traffic.

I reported the incidents to the NHTSA and got no action or response, but I suggest you do the same.

And, was your steering wheel hard over? Can you try replicating the problem--but with the ESC system TURNED OFF ?

I know it wasn't my feet, or the pedals, or my imagination. There's something wrong about what the "man behind the curtain" sometimes is doing.
Thank you, I will investigate that further. If still an issue I will report it to the NHTSA.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this happen periodically in our Q5. As mentioned it seems to happen when making a sharp right or left turn or more often when making a U turn. for lack of a better term, I'd describe it a dead spot in the throttle in these situations.

We had a late model Mazda that did the same thing occasionally. Scary feeling if traffic is approaching.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad to know you confirm this, Bob.

Consider: Rapid acceleration change demanded, hard turn demanded, and that combination is what the ESC system is *supposed* to be triggered by. And responds to by cutting the speed to allow rollover stability to return.

It would be a typical Audi nanny decision to say "Well, you just must not endanger the car by demanding that, so we will cut your throttle if you try." And if someone could monitor the ESC performance to confirm this was happening...it would require reprogramming the ESC system's parameters to fix it. And perhaps prevent a T-bone and deaths from the incidents that seem sure to come.

If everyone who has had this problem reported it to the NHTSA, the could start the investigation as to how the ESC system is or isn't involved.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 acceleration failure