Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

APR ECU Upgrade for Q5 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR ECU Upgrade for Q5 TDI

So it has come to my attention that APR had an ECU upgrade for the 3.0 TDI engine. Seem like some excellent gains...somewhat close to what the SQ5 TDI in Europe puts out. I am very tempted to get this chip once my Q5 comes in but never really altered the ECU before. My question to the tuners out there that have those ECU's, have you had any issues with Audi not doing the maintenance or following through with warranty because of the ECU? I would hate to void a warranty on a $50K+ car for a $500 ECU. Also, I am liking their cold air intake as well...same question about the intake; any issues with Audi when you took the car for maintenance or had warranty issues? I am hoping to get some good news about this because I really want to get it done.
Also, for the ones that have these ECU upgrades, have you had any long term issues with your cars since I am assuming with the extra power that you get, more stress on the engine?

http://www.goapr.com/products/?vehicle=Q5

Last edited by AudiFreak666; 03-08-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

decision to chip a car aside, I'm confused by their low/med/high graphs. The "low" graphs show both stock HP/TQ higher than the "medium" graphs, which doesn't seem right and I have no idea which of those 3 correlates to any vehicle.

I have an inquiry in with them to find out.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFreak666
So it has come to my attention that APR had an ECU upgrade for the 3.0 TDI engine. Seem like some excellent gains...somewhat close to what the SQ5 TDI in Europe puts out. I am very tempted to get this chip once my Q5 comes in but never really altered the ECU before. My question to the tuners out there that have those ECU's, have you had any issues with Audi not doing the maintenance or following through with warranty because of the ECU? I would hate to void a warranty on a $50K+ car for a $500 ECU. Also, I am liking their cold air intake as well...same question about the intake; any issues with Audi when you took the car for maintenance or had warranty issues? I am hoping to get some good news about this because I really want to get it done.
Also, for the ones that have these ECU upgrades, have you had any long term issues with your cars since I am assuming with the extra power that you get, more stress on the engine?

http://www.goapr.com/products/?vehicle=Q5
Ecu tuning is easy, especially for diesels. More fuel = more power.

However, I find that with diesels, the most failure prone item when you tune is the emissions. The DPF is not designed for the increased amount soot that will be produced and will have to work harder to burn it off or will clog easier. The EGR will also get more soot build up choking the engine and then lastly, the turbo can get sooted up. Tuning sounds nice but I believe leads to more problems in the long run. The extra power is also nice but is it worth the potential problems?
Old 03-08-2014, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
decision to chip a car aside, I'm confused by their low/med/high graphs. The "low" graphs show both stock HP/TQ higher than the "medium" graphs, which doesn't seem right and I have no idea which of those 3 correlates to any vehicle.

I have an inquiry in with them to find out.
More interestingly is written A4 3.0TDI, I did not know that there is a model on the U.S. market.
APR information - stock: 236HP and 406TQ
Audi information: -stock 240HP and 428TQ (for Q5, A6, A7)

Last edited by spijun; 03-08-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
More interestingly is written A4 3.0TDI, I did not know that there is a model on the U.S. market.
APR sells all over the world, not just US market, so they have all cars listed.

Originally Posted by spijun
APR information - stock: 236HP and 406TQ
Audi information: -stock 240HP and 428TQ (for Q5, A6, A7)
APR lists the HP/TQ that they tested in stock form, not what Audi Marketing states.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

APR sells all over the world, not just US market, so they have all cars listed.
I know APR sells all over the world, not just the U.S. market, but most are focused on the U.S. market
The best example is the diesel 2.0TDI 140HP which long does not exist in the Audi offer. Exist only 2.0TDI : 110 kW (150 PS), 130 kW (177 PS)

APR lists the HP/TQ that they tested in stock form, not what Audi Marketing states.
Interesting results APR Q5 3.0TFSI 244HP. Audi lot of lying 272 HP

Last edited by spijun; 03-08-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Q5 TDI tune

None available for the 2014 Q5 TDI afaik. Q7 TDI had tunes available in the past and I believe the graphs are from the generic 3.0 TDI tunes for the Q7.
Several months ago I inquired about the Q5 TDI tune from my local apr dealer and he said it was too early in the model year for the tune to become available. Makes sense to me.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bpp
None available for the 2014 Q5 TDI afaik. Q7 TDI had tunes available in the past and I believe the graphs are from the generic 3.0 TDI tunes for the Q7.
Several months ago I inquired about the Q5 TDI tune from my local apr dealer and he said it was too early in the model year for the tune to become available. Makes sense to me.
Maybe from company's APR for the U.S. market, in Europe there are more companies that offer ECU Q5/SQ5 3.0TDI MY2013/2014
Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

so wanna get this done!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some discussions over on Cayenne forums about Blue-Spark system from the UK- not a tune per se, but plugs into fuel rail etc and has different fuel settings. Several rave about it, but have also had some issues. Can supposedly be "unplugged" for warranty work without leaving a trail, but I'm skeptical. Same basic engine as the Q5 so would probably work.

Quick Reply: APR ECU Upgrade for Q5 TDI