Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Lift Kit for Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit for Q5?

Does anyone make a lift kit for a Q5? I know that there is an offroad package but I am thinking like more intense off road. Pics would be cool

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If you got the Q5 for that then you bought the wrong car.

It will effect the handling and ride
Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie

+2425789874254
Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie

+1

Definitely this will adversely affect ride, handling, braking.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon guys, let's play nice here...
Let's work through this rather than just shooting the OP down in flames

Yes, it will affect the handling, as it would raise the COG. No more than a loaded roof box on the racks though, and the Q5 adjusts for that...
And remember, we start from a very high standard WRT handling (that's one reason we drive Audis) and so if it is slightly worse than original then it's still better than 80% of the cars out there - and certainly better than almost all SUVs.

Also, don't dismiss the Q5's ability for (mild) off-road work. The Quattro is set up for traction in some very trying conditions, and in fact the clearance is the limiting factor as far as where you can take one of these.
I have an issue with people who say "buy a Toyota/Jeep if you want to go off-road", as my type of "off-road" would be to get to that location somewhere in the great outdoors - but usually drive 500 or 1000 miles on the blacktop to get there. It's known as the "last 5 mile" dilemma.
Should I put up with a bone-shaking ride in a vehicle I don't enjoy driving for the first 500 - 1000 miles so that I can successfully get through the conditions to achieve my destination over the last 5 miles?
As an active off-road member of ClubTouareg here in Australia for a number of years, I am happy to have downsized my car from the T to the Q5, but am occasionally frustrated by the limits of the Q5 - and another 2-3 inches would be great. Preferrably provided hydraulically or pneumatically when needed, so as to minimise the effects on the performance / handling for the rest of the time.

So, let's see if the great resources of this excellent forum can be used to answer the OP's question, rather than just dismissing it?

cheers
The following users liked this post:
Klausenburgischer (06-24-2020)
Old 02-01-2011, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by moonan
C'mon guys, let's play nice here...
Let's work through this rather than just shooting the OP down in flames

Yes, it will affect the handling, as it would raise the COG. No more than a loaded roof box on the racks though, and the Q5 adjusts for that...
And remember, we start from a very high standard WRT handling (that's one reason we drive Audis) and so if it is slightly worse than original then it's still better than 80% of the cars out there - and certainly better than almost all SUVs.

Also, don't dismiss the Q5's ability for (mild) off-road work. The Quattro is set up for traction in some very trying conditions, and in fact the clearance is the limiting factor as far as where you can take one of these.
I have an issue with people who say "buy a Toyota/Jeep if you want to go off-road", as my type of "off-road" would be to get to that location somewhere in the great outdoors - but usually drive 500 or 1000 miles on the blacktop to get there. It's known as the "last 5 mile" dilemma.
Should I put up with a bone-shaking ride in a vehicle I don't enjoy driving for the first 500 - 1000 miles so that I can successfully get through the conditions to achieve my destination over the last 5 miles?
As an active off-road member of ClubTouareg here in Australia for a number of years, I am happy to have downsized my car from the T to the Q5, but am occasionally frustrated by the limits of the Q5 - and another 2-3 inches would be great. Preferrably provided hydraulically or pneumatically when needed, so as to minimise the effects on the performance / handling for the rest of the time.

So, let's see if the great resources of this excellent forum can be used to answer the OP's question, rather than just dismissing it?

cheers
Well said Neil. While a lift kit is not my style I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate for others. As long as we're not talking monster truck, right?

Nelson
Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

A custom airbag setup would probably provide the best of both worlds, for adjustability and little to no loss of ride quality. I don't think you would find a kit anywhere though.

A coilover over kit may give you a little bit of a lift, though not by much. H&R used to make longer coilover strut/shock bodies for some applications.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am sorry if I really didn't say enough. I am only looking for probably about 2 more inches for the reasons already said. I know that it would affect handling, braking, and overall ride comfort but that is something that I am willing to sacrifice. I am NOT looking for a 6" lift like you would find on a truck. I am looking for a sophisticated system that raises the height of the vehicle when needed. I have already had my undercarriage scraped up and I am worried about damaging the stock suspension by doing some of the things I would like to do.

I definitely do not want to make the Q5 a dune car but the ability to clear some more aggressive hills/bumps would be nice. I like the idea of an airbag system but how would that handle being hit fast? I don't have any experience with airbags.

The main reason I am asking is because I work for a production company and we are getting a deal to do a bunch of promotional material for a truck company that is very involved in rally racing and off-road stuff. To date, my Q5 has been everything I wanted and more. I hadn't driven it in a week until tonight and I feel like I have fallen in love with the car again. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do so I can take my own car out to these shoots and still be able to go where the jacked up trucks are going (not nearly at the same speed though). Coilovers sound good too. Maybe kit was the wrong word. Is there anything made especially for the Q5?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

You may ask some air ride companies and they may have the solution for you. It's been done before. The parts are similar to A4 parts so it's not too hard to put something together.

This is the opposite of what you want but all you need is a longer bag to get you the extra lift, instead of dumping it to the ground.
http://www.iamaudi.com/bagged-audi-q...d-on-air-ride/
Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are prepared to start by adding coilovers (if you can get them set to original suspension height?) and the installing a KW HLS (hydraulic lift system) http://www.kw-suspensions.eu/int/kw_hls.php to give a bit of extra - may be worth investigating...

Quick Reply: Lift Kit for Q5?