Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 09:02 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Q5 Daytime Running Light Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Q5 Daytime Running Light Problem??

I'm in day 8 of my 2010 ownership and I just noticed that during the day, when the low beams are off and the daytime running lights (DRL) are on, that when you activate the turn signal, the DRL on the signal side, turns itself off. Once the signal goes out, the DRL comes back on. However, when the low beams AND DRLs are on, the turn signal has no effect on the DRLs. I cannot think of any reason why this would work like this. Is this a defect?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, that is the way it is suppose to be. During the day, with DRL's on, corresponding DRL turns out with turn signal. Really annoying, I know. There is a software "fix" for it, but you have to find someone with the VDS software and correct cable. I had mine changed so the DRL's stay on all the time now.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

When you say "find someone", you mean a dealer? Who else would be capable of making the "fix"? Also, is this something a dealer would be willing or capable of doing, or because this is the way it's supposed to work, they won't mess with it. Have you heard any rationale why Audi would have it work this way? Makes no sense. Could it truly be a bug in the VDS software?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Possible reason

Originally Posted by njjoe
When you say "find someone", you mean a dealer? Who else would be capable of making the "fix"? Also, is this something a dealer would be willing or capable of doing, or because this is the way it's supposed to work, they won't mess with it. Have you heard any rationale why Audi would have it work this way? Makes no sense. Could it truly be a bug in the VDS software?
I believe (but am not sure) that the reason is that during the daytime the very bright DRL's in their elongated design might make it difficult for the turn indicator lights to be seen (washed out in bright sun). However, when it is dark enough that you have high- or low-beams on this problem goes away. Typical non-LED DRL's don't dominate visually the way the LED ones (with their gull-wing shape) do on the new Audi's. My 2 cents
Old 08-16-2009, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Additionally, it's not something a dealer will likely do because that how it is designed to operate. Therefore, you either need to find a person in your area who has a VAG-COM, or purchase one yourself, to make the change.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

http://www.vagtoolfinder.com/
Old 08-16-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, it's not something the dealer will do for you, because it is the way the car is programmed. It is not a big in the system. There are plenty of people who have the software and cable to do this (that's how I had mine changed). All they do is plug it in to the usb port in the car, open the program, and uncheck the box for the "winking DRL's". It took all of 30 seconds to do. If you do a search on this forum, you will find all kinds of information on the DRL fixes, as well as other "fixes". It is just the way the cars are programmed for North America. But it can be changed. Just not by the dealer.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys (or gals), great info - thanks! I'll be turning my "winking DRL" off soon.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
There are plenty of people who have the software and cable to do this (that's how I had mine changed).
How does one go about finding a person with the software and cable?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rubinjos
How does one go about finding a person with the software and cable?
Did you click either of the links I provided above?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights

Originally Posted by njjoe
I'm in day 8 of my 2010 ownership and I just noticed that during the day, when the low beams are off and the daytime running lights (DRL) are on, that when you activate the turn signal, the DRL on the signal side, turns itself off. Once the signal goes out, the DRL comes back on. However, when the low beams AND DRLs are on, the turn signal has no effect on the DRLs. I cannot think of any reason why this would work like this. Is this a defect?
I've noticed this on my 2009 S5, as well as my 2010 Q5. I assumed it was a "feature", not a defect. Maybe to increase the visibility of the signal light by not washing it out with the DRLs.